MDF repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an MDF kitchen door for a dishwasher front, but I mis-aligned some of the screw holes. Is there a way to somehow drill out the screw hole and fill it with dowel or something so that a new screw close by will hold?

Sponsored Links
is this going into the face or an edge ?

never tried this! but if it is the face then yes it might work, but would try and avoid the screw going between dowel and MDF, so maybe you will need a good fitting plug glued in a bit bigger than a typical bit of dowel.
(the screw will need to go completely into either MDF or the wooden plug - not halfway between them)

is this going into the face or an edge ?

never tried this! but if it is the face then yes it might work, but would try and avoid the screw going between dowel and MDF, so maybe you will need a good fitting plug glued in a bit bigger than a typical bit of dowel.
(the screw will need to go completely into either MDF or the wooden plug - not halfway between them)

Into the face or rather the rear face of the door. I think the new screw holes will just miss the dowels. I've seen on eBay 3mm hardwood dowels, they would fill the screw hole nicely, once drilled out.

Next problem is the template, which has gone missing. Have to call Bosch on Monday. Cannot imagine they are not available since replacing a door front must be quite a common thing.

Sponsored Links
I'd drill a bigger hole using a Forstner bit and add a plug of timber ? Or just fill the hole with. Aroldite

If the screws are not completely within the perimeter of the dowel there is a tendency for them to follow the line if least resistance and wander into the Mdf putting the hinge out of line

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back