MDF types - Melamine, "Velvet", "Finsa 12Twenty". What's the difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear DIYNot forum members,

I'm in the market for some MDF and, depending on the supplier, I keep bumping into different finish options: standard melamine, "Velvet", "Finsa 12Twenty".
For example:
1679318035374.png

The descriptions on the vendors' websites look like something generated by ChatGPT AI and I can't see through the marketing copy.

I'm building a bookcase. I want it to have white matt finish. What's the difference between the offerings and what material should I choose?

Sponsored Links
Basically moisture resistant mdf is better quality than the shed stuff but more expemsive, that said the latter is fine for shelving IMO. You can get it cut down to fit in the car at bee and queue and then finish off at home. I designed a book case from a single sheet of 8x4 as a challenge and to save materials. Plenty of youtube videos on preparation and painting. Good luck.

Blup

I'm building a bookcase. I want it to have white matt finish. What's the difference between the offerings and what material should I choose

You need Finsa hydrofuga ideally.

its made from Eucalytus and is super smooth, ideal for painting.

it’s a lot more expensive, but it means you will end up with a nice finish

sand the edges with 120g, 180g, 320g so they are polished, it burnishes the edge and closes it up. Then paint the edge with a sealer and sand again, before painting whole thing.

if you buy bog standard mdf from a builders merchant, when you paint it you will see all the fibres through it.

I didn't want to paint it, ideally, as it's possible to get the colour I need. But thank you for your answers!

Sponsored Links
Ok but if you cut it you will have exposed edges

Blup

A complete alternative is Veneered mdf.

I built our wardrobes out of oak Veneered mdf boards. It comes in various thicknesses, I used mostly 18mm with Oak Veneered Iron on Edging. My wife loved the finish,we now have Oak Veneered shelves hrte snd there, shoe storage....

There are a fair few choses in Veneered boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back