Types of Board Questions

Lip and spur bits are sometimes sold as brad point bits.

21FBNDWF9GL._SS500_.gif

Even Bosch sell them via B&Q and City Electrical Factors sell them, too, so they are widely available. There is a tendency to call them "wood bits", although that term covers just about anything

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Thanks Scrit.

I think I've got some already that look like the one in your photo. They have a sharp point in the centre. Is that what they refer to as lip and spur or do other bits look like that also?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Me again!

So, as you know, I want to cut a u-shape to go around the pedestal of the washbasin. Do I cut the whole 'U' with a jigsaw or do I cut the straight lines with something else (circular saw, etc) then stop when I get to the curved part and then continue with the jigsaw?

Is there an alternative to get a smooth edge besides using a router (it has already been mentioned that sanding would damage the board)?

Thanks.

Hi All.

I am pleased to announce that I have finally made the U cuts and I am very happy with them. Thanks for all the help and advice! They have come out almost perfectly smooth and straight. I used a jigsaw with a downcut blade and the straight lines are perfectly straight to the eye.

After being over cautious and taking all the precautions I could think of, I ended up with an annoying problem that I hope someone can help me with.

The base-plate of the saw left some black marks on my white surface which I removed with a pencil eraser. I also used a pencil eraser to rub out any mistakes which I made when drawing the U shape on the board.

If I hold the board up in the light, I could now see ugly shiny marks where I have used the rubber. I have tried removing them with a damp tissue, but that hasn't worked either. Please tell me that there is a way to remove them!

Also, what is normally used to cut the thin, flexible board which is usually found nailed to the back of cabinets, etc; don't know what it's called? Would a jigsaw be ok?

Thanks.

There used to be loads.

Gas
Electrcity
Water
National Coal
British Railways

:LOL: :LOL:

yep a jigsaw is ideal for cutting any board or wood if its thinner stuff it needs more support to stop it oscilating and slowing the cut down just support within an inch or two of the blade allong the edge of a workmate for example]
sometimes its actualy easier to hold the jigsaw and and pull the sheet back rather than keep repositioning the work and your body

did your jigsaw not come with a sole plate protector to stop it marking the work!!!

those marks wont easily go away remember the white is only realy like shiney paper albeit quite waterproof

Hi FatGit, if you've read any of my threads, you'll realise that I'm a bit slow, so any jokes need explaining!

Thanks big all; it's only about a foot to cut, so manoeuvering shouldn't be a problem.

No, the saw definitely did not come with a protector; I've never heard of one until you just mentioned it! I got the saw new from Argos.

'those marks wont easily go away'

OK, so is there a hard way of getting rid of them?

Thanks.

take an offcut and try replicating the marks [and the shiney bit i belive]

then try things like water soap white spirits non abrasive enamel or bath cleaner ect ect

try them on seperate areas and leave a few days to dry

OK, thanks big-all. The offcuts also have the sole plate markings on them, so I could just rub them out as I did before, then try out your suggestions on them.

Traveller said:
Hi FatGit, if you've read any of my threads, you'll realise that I'm a bit slow, so any jokes need explaining!
Thanks.
:LOL:
It wasn't a very good one!
British Railways Board
National Coal Board
Electricty Board
Gas Board

See, all different types of board.

Hi FatGit.

'It wasn't a very good one! '

You can say that again!!!!! Hahahaahaaa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back