MDPE to stopcock leaks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having trouble getting a reliable joint between the blue 25mm MDPE incoming main and the 22mm stopcock.
The first issue is the SWWater supply pressure which is 12bar!
The second issue is the transition fitting from MDPE to copper before the stopcock and the pressure reducing valve.
I first had a blue pushfit to female thread plus compression copper fitting and then a short length of copper pipe before the PRV. This connection failed after a few months due to the plastic thread distorting and no amount of sealant or tape on the thread would hold.
Changed the fitting to push fit blue to push fit on to the copper, this too now leaks at the copper end after about 6 months.
How can I get a good leakproof joint between these two pipes? Is there another way of achieving this transition?

I'm fed up with constantly having to redo this joint. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It is definitely blue, metric MDPE you are connecting to, and you are using an insert?

Sponsored Links
It is definitely blue, metric MDPE you are connecting to, and you are using an insert?

Yes, new pipe only 4 years ago and inserts used throughout but it's not that joint or any other blue joints that leak!

It looks like converting to 22mm before the stop valve was the stupid plumbers choice! I'll go with the above suggestion unless someone has a better idea.

Interestingly there are 2 other similarly configured joints (3 flats in all converted at the same time) and the other two have been fine....touches head!!

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back