Mealtimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have breakfast, lunch then tea. I don't have dinner but am aware it can mean lunch or tea. Does it depend on where in the country you are from? I have been all over, but have a Northern/working-class background. So who has what? Do you 'brunch' or have 'elevenses' then 'high tea', what what?

Sponsored Links
I'm a posh Southerner so I have lunch in the early afternoon.

I believe some people call it Dinner, they may be common people or Northerners, but obviously, I find it difficult to tell the difference ;)

Down here, young children may have a meal at Teatime, but not adults.

An evening meal, if substantial or at a restaurant, will be dinner.

No such thing as supper.

I have breakfast, lunch and dinner but when I was a kid we had Breakfast, dinner and tea, I loved staying with my grandparents cos they had breakfast, dinner, tea and then supper :D

Supper is the name for the evening meal in some dialects of English - ordinarily the last meal of the day, usually the meal that comes after dinner.

Sponsored Links
breakfast, dinner, tea then supper.

But then I'm Northerner living in the south.

So down where I live it is

breakfast lunch dinner (or sometimes supper if you're a bit posher)

notb665 - slow day ?

Eddie M said:
notb665 - slow day ?

Nah, just something entertaining I can leave and come back to when I'm ready while mopping the kitchen, dining room, hallway and bathroom.

It needed doing three times, housework went slightly by the wayside because I've been getting divorced, then redecorating, then suddenly met someone else and moving her stuff in gradually, redecorating more, sorting my step-daughter with nurseries and stuff, and we've been getting stuff ready for a baby (due in 2 weeks). Anyway, I am getting back on top of things and starting to win!

tim west said:
notb665 said:
Anyway, I am getting back on top of things
Shouldn't you be waiting till after the birth? ;)

:LOL: :LOL: It's a long and hard process, so I seem to be able to manage perfectly well. Thanks for your concern though. :p

so whats the chocolate cake and cream i have every night before going to bed called?

lunch, hmm, here is something interesting.

did you know that NASA has banned the word lunch

aparently some one in the control room looked at the clock and shouted out lunch time, some one mis-heard and pushed the "fire" button.

to which the reply was

I said lunch not LAUNCH

We have lunch around 13.00 and dinner 19.30/20.00. If 'dinner' is a sort of 'fork' thing, like lasagne or spaghetti in front of the tv then we might call it 'supper'.
When I was growing up there was always a fourth meal in the late evening called 'supper'. No wonder people became obese.... :rolleyes:

Unless you know exactly who you are talking to, it is wise never to say 'I'll 'phone around dinner time'........ Can lead to misunderstandings !

Perry

Persimmon said:
When I was growing up there was always a fourth meal in the late evening called 'supper'. No wonder people became obese.... :rolleyes:

How long ago were you growing up? The country is full of obese people now and their number is growing as fast as their waistlines!! I wonder how many of them eat 'supper' or merely shove junk food down their faces as they sit, brain dead, staring at their televisions every evening!

People need to start getting off their lazy arses, switch the TV set off and do some exercise!!

Sponsored Links
Back