HOSPITALS FROM HELL

B

B.O.B DOLE

Iwas in hospital about 6 month ago and can remember a old chap acroos from me who was realy ill with emphisimeya anyway they would comr to hime in the morning asked him if he wanted a cup of tea then they left him till dinner then asked him if he would like dinner then they would be back at tea and so on this happenned for over 4 days then a nurse came to him and he asked her am i going to die, she said no your going to be ok. anyway 5 hours later he died in bed. and all the time he was in that bed no one came to him only at breakfast,dinner,tea time .

and i thought what a joke this is why was he not in the intensive care unit
they just left him to die..............

and also in the same hospital there where old people asking for water all the time the nurses just ignored them and walked passed them
it opened mt eyes what this nhs is all about and i soon got my self private health cover...................

ALSO they stuck this needle in my hand with an attachment on it so they could stick drugs in me when i needed them it was in my hand for 7 days
i fond out later thet it should have been changed everyday.
i even asked the nurses to remove it on the 3rd day but i was ignored ,

and about 4 beds down from me was a druggie and the nurse on duty at night who new this creep used to go to is bed at night and draw the curtains up and they would be up chatting and laughing all night .

Sponsored Links
Glad you can afford it Jack.

What about those who can't?

This doesn't surprise me at all. I also think that there is a similar situation in nursing homes. Although the inmates are not necessarily in bed, from what I have seen they lead awful lives and I believe that they are generally mis-treated by staff in that their needs are not catered for and if they complain then they are treated with ignorance or contempt. I hope not all homes are like this but I expect a lot of them are and I sincerely hope I never end up in one.
I have never really had much cause for complaint whenever I have been in hospital (apart from the awful food), but you hear so many stories about people being mis-treated that you become immune to it. I wonder if some of the staff do not see elderly patients as people to be cared for but just someone who needs to be given food and medication according to instructions, and that's it.

notb665 said:

for those who cant may have the same fate as the old chap who was left to die

Sponsored Links
B.O.B DOLE said:
notb665 said:

for those who cant may have the same fate as the old chap who was left to die

So what are you going to do about it?

there was a thread some time ago--not sure which one...but it was mentioned that health care there (UK) was better (??) or it was more expensive here (US)...can't remember which...anyway, I work in a hospital here (no, not a doctor or nurse) and I am shocked that, that was the way you were treated. Though, if it makes you feel any better the needle in your hand sounds like an IV and the needle is meant to stay in and the tube which connects to the fluids is changed (if it's done the same way here). :eek:

mlb3c said:
the needle is meant to stay in and the tube which connects to the fluids is changed (if it's done the same way here). :eek:
That's how I understood it, the needle stay in at all time with just the fluids top up, well that's what they did to me last year in hospital.

mlb3c, I believe in USA you have to take out an insurance policies for hospital treatments or is it free like the nhs in the UK?

masona said:
mlb3c said:
the needle is meant to stay in and the tube which connects to the fluids is changed (if it's done the same way here). :eek:
That's how I understood it, the needle stay in at all time with just the fluids top up, well that's what they did to me last year in hospital.

mlb3c, I believe in USA you have to take out an insurance policies for hospital treatments or is it free like the nhs in the UK?

I can't speak for the whole country, but here (tn), medical insurance is very expensive.....you have to qualify (based on income if any) for charity which is free or much less--but where I work, the treatment for those unfortunate people is not less quality or quantity. I get group insurance through the hospital at a discounted rate...not free. Also goes for doctor visits, xrays, etc....all are separate...you get a different bill from each. I've been blessed with good health so far.

I am a nurse and can clarify something regarding the cannula (the needle in your hand) They should be routinely changed every 72 hours (if in use) unless it needs changing prior to this i.e. it stops working. The IV giving set line should be changes anywhere between 24 and 72 hrs depending upon what is being delivered through it.

I obviously cannot comment on the specifics of the initial post as I was not there but I would say I find it quite common for this sort of thing to crop up, i.e. all the staff are uncaring bastards. This is rubbish. Of course there are going to be bad apples in any barrel but the majority of people who work in hospitals do it because they do care.

If I came on here and said all the builders, plumbers and electricians I have come across are uncaring, rip off merchants most people would think I was being a bit unfair to the majority who aren't.

It is the same with the NHS. All this bashing does nothing good to moral. The vast majority of good work done is neglected in favour of slagging off the rare mistakes.

So please remember, most of us are trying to do our best under difficult circumstances.

I think nurses are fantastic, worth their weight and more in gold.

I am speaking from experience and have to say that it is a fact, sad but true, that private health care is vastly superior to the care people receive in the NHS

The NHS is run to a budget that is significantly lower than the budget private health care uses. You can get access to better nursing care, more medical attention and better equipment. I think You have a significantly better chance of a positive outcome if you are treated privately.

The ratio of staff to patients is better and although I would like to say the attitudes are the same across both my experience is that the attitude of nursing staff in private hospitals is incomparably more positive and their care standards higher. I don't find this surprising because they work in a nicer enviroment and are paid better, generally treated better and their morale is higher

If you haven't got private health cover and can afford it go and buy it now. You will not regret it

I'm not saying this situation is fair, or right but it is true

B.O.B DOLE said:
Iwas in hospital about 6 month ago and can remember a old chap acroos from me who was realy ill with emphisimeya anyway they would comr to hime in the morning asked him if he wanted a cup of tea then they left him till dinner then asked him if he would like dinner then they would be back at tea and so on this happenned for over 4 days then a nurse came to him and he asked her am i going to die, she said no your going to be ok. anyway 5 hours later he died in bed. and all the time he was in that bed no one came to him only at breakfast,dinner,tea time .

and i thought what a joke this is why was he not in the intensive care unit
they just left him to die..............

and also in the same hospital there where old people asking for water all the time the nurses just ignored them and walked passed them
it opened mt eyes what this nhs is all about and i soon got my self private health cover...................

ALSO they stuck this needle in my hand with an attachment on it so they could stick drugs in me when i needed them it was in my hand for 7 days
i fond out later thet it should have been changed everyday.
i even asked the nurses to remove it on the 3rd day but i was ignored ,

and about 4 beds down from me was a druggie and the nurse on duty at night who new this creep used to go to is bed at night and draw the curtains up and they would be up chatting and laughing all night .
oh poor you :rolleyes: not

Some months ago I was taken to a hospital in the East Midlands. This is where I live. I was in intensive care ( unconscious ) for three days. Anyway I have no recollection of being in intensive care. My wife and family have told me that the care I received was five star all the way. One nurse in particular ( Dave ) was the sort that went above and beound the call so to speak. Well done to them and thanks too.
Then I was moved to a general ward. The staff and nurses were all suffering from compassion fatigue. It would be easy for me to say unkind comments because they gave me so much scope to do so but they were overworked and under staffed. So I will just stick to the thank you to all the intensive care staff and to the general ward staff. Let us hope it is not too long before you get the correct staffing levels.

I can only speak as I find. I was in and out of hospital a few years ago for some pretty major surgeries.

99% of the staff I encountered in those long months were absolutely fantastic. Overworked, yes (1 nurse and 1 auxilliary on a 26 bed HDU during the night :rolleyes: ), underpaid, probably :(

There is always going to be one lazy person who can't be bothered to do their job properly in every job in the world. I do think our NHS is knocked far too much though & it doesn't help the nursing staff when they know that there are NHS pen pushers who work less hours and get paid more than them.

Also, some patients whilst more than capable to do thing for themselves, refuse to and expect nursing staff to do everything for them :evil: .

I take my hat off to the NHS nurses and Doctors, they deserve every hard earned penny they get :D

Sponsored Links
Back