POLICE / WHAT A JOKE

supersparks said:
oh and the bit about speed cameras is untrue, a couple i know of in 40mph zones are set at 42mph :confused:

so many have peen caught that most slow down to 29mph just in case as they go by :LOL:

Are they gatsometer type cameras?
Read this ... http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/enfotech/gatso.htm
Type approval for Gatsometers ...
Primary (radar) to be within ± 2 mph of actual speed up to 60 mph and ± 2% for speeds above 60 mph.
Secondary (camera) to be within 10% of primary.
So, 40 mph + 2 = 42mph 10%= approx 4 mph therefore less than 46 mph would be arguable due to the machine tolerances.
But, if you notice among the Devon-Corwall writings, the flash time delay between shots is variable 0.5 sec to 0.7 sec ... I believe this can be 'tweaked' by the operatior..... can of worms??

The quoted margin for error may not exist with other types of device.

See how a calibration certificate looks ..
http://lbsafetycameras.co.uk/articles.php?frmArticleID=20&staticId=54
Not much detail on the Gatsometer cert.
More detail to be seen on others.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
couple of questions that have been bugging me

with a gatso, you have a set of lines on a road, like a ruler. Do these lines affect the working of the camera, or are they for illustration (photo evidence) only? Either way, there is a camera near me, on the way into Rotherham, where these lines have all but dissapeared due to poor road surfacing. Would i still be prosecuted for speeding? (IMO, without photo proof of measurements on road, i could not be prosecuted)

Can a gatso survey BOTH sides of a road? (2 single opposing lanes of traffic). Can any sort of speed camera do this? I have seen a lot of cameras where there is just one camera at one side, and lines painted on both sides! :rolleyes:

On a similar note, can any speed camera survey 2 lanes of traffic on a dual carriageway?

Thoughts / answers appreciated!!!

AFAIK, the rear-facing Gatso's have a doppler radar. This identifies likely candidates for speeding and then takes two pictures at a set interval, and then a policeman has to get his ruler out and check whether you were actually speeding or not by checking against the lines you mention.

The reason for having lines on both sides is because they can swivel the camera head, depending on which side they want to squeeze money out of on any one particular day.

The 2-laning is possible with these because the manual measuring identifies which car set the camera off.

Front-facing cameras work slightly differently. Not, as some believe, by measuring your average speed over the last mile of approach, but there are two piezo-sensors buried in the road just in front of the cameras. Set them off too quickly together, and the camera takes a picture of the front of your car, using an infra-red flash to avoid blinding you. These are more accurate than the radar, so no need for the manual measurement.

markie said:
has any body read the sun to day, about the ambulance driver who was taking organs to two dying patients in oxford [churchill hospital ] He had 1 1/2 hours to get there, starting from gatwick airport , he arived on time to save them. Then 4 days later thames valley police had sent him a penalty point notice and a £30 fine for speeding in oxford. he went past a speed camera at 36 mph with his blue lights flashing. The police told him, the fine and points were still valid. what a joke the law is in this country :evil:

This is probably not an ambulance driver but a volunteer 'ambulance car' driver. Despite having advanced driver training they are not treated the same as emergency service drivers so do not share the exemption from speed limits in an 'emergency'. There have been a few cases like this reported over the years, some police forces do not prosecute whilst others do - it's the luck of the draw but, IMO, totally wrong. These people are delivering a life-saving service and are properly trained to do so, they should not face prosecution.

joe-90 said:
That doesn't sound likely to me.

The speed cameras are calibrated to add 10% +2 mph which means you can go 37mph without being booked.

Secondly why did they only have 90 mins to get there? Transplants are only given to people in good all-over health. If they were at the point of dying they couldn't proceed.

joe

Edit forget that 10% of 30 is 3 + 2 = 35. I was thinking of my own car which has an extra 2 mph inaccuracy of the speedo so I can reach 37mph and not get booked.

It is not that the person is likely to die immediately, but the risk to the condition of the organ. The 'shelf life' is not expansive, plus if the organ was being collected from Gatwick it is highly likely that it had already been in transit.

I know of two people in Oxford prosecuted in 30mph zones at 33mph & 34mph.

Sponsored Links
dg123 said:
joe-90 said:

The speed cameras are calibrated to add 10% +2 mph which means you can go 37mph without being booked.

Secondly why did they only have 90 mins to get there? Transplants are only given to people in good all-over health. If they were at the point of dying they couldn't proceed.

joe

Edit forget that 10% of 30 is 3 + 2 = 35. I was thinking of my own car which has an extra 2 mph inaccuracy of the speedo so I can reach 37mph and not get booked.

It is not that the person is likely to die immediately, but the risk to the condition of the organ. The 'shelf life' is not expansive, plus if the organ was being collected from Gatwick it is highly likely that it had already been in transit.

Once the organ has been removed and put into cold storage there isn't a problem. It;s when it's in the donor body that it deteriorates.
Why would he travel at 36 in a 30 zone if he was in a hurry?

joe

dg123 said:
markie said:
has any body read the sun to day, about the ambulance driver who was taking organs to two dying patients in oxford [churchill hospital ] He had 1 1/2 hours to get there, starting from gatwick airport , he arived on time to save them. Then 4 days later thames valley police had sent him a penalty point notice and a £30 fine for speeding in oxford. he went past a speed camera at 36 mph with his blue lights flashing. The police told him, the fine and points were still valid. what a joke the law is in this country :evil:

This is probably not an ambulance driver but a volunteer 'ambulance car' driver. Despite having advanced driver training they are not treated the same as emergency service drivers so do not share the exemption from speed limits in an 'emergency'. There have been a few cases like this reported over the years, some police forces do not prosecute whilst others do - it's the luck of the draw but, IMO, totally wrong. These people are delivering a life-saving service and are properly trained to do so, they should not face prosecution.
I knew a guy once who had been a volunteer motorcycle courier for the blood service, and a mate of his was in court having been zapped at a 3-figure speed, and (whilst being chased) seen to go through 2 red lights and the wrong way down a one-way street.

His lawyer got the surgeon to give evidence to the fact that if the blood had arrived 30 seconds later the patient would have died.

He got off.

BTW - apart from police driving instructors providing training, I didn't think that anybody, under any circumstances, was officially exempt from speed limits and other regulations, but that in practice prosecutions are not regarded as in the public interest if no harm has resulted.

The same person as above also told me a story (don't know if it was true) that in some authority or other the police did start giving ambulance drivers a hard time, and in retaliation they stopped removing bodies from RTAs, saying "dead body - police matter"....

dg123 said:
joe-90 said:

joe

Ref the 33 and 34 mph...... Was it Gatso fixed radar/camera or a hand held type??
As I said there may well be a difference.... The 'hand held' operator replaces the camera, therefore it is his opinion that the vehicle in question is speeding ( betting it is random ), if satisfied he then 'shoots' the target .. I am thinking within 2 or 3 mph is then the requirement, plus anything ACPO guidance dictates .. If adhered to....
Hence technically an offence at 32mph or 33mph measured from hand held, person operated, as opposed to robotic intrument is possible.

'Type approval' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Approval

Type approval vehicle speedometers ......From here
TypeApSpeedo.jpg

[code:1]
Category L :- Motor vehicles with less than four wheels.
Category M :- Power-driven vehicles having at least four wheels and used for the carriage of passengers.
Category N :- Power-driven vehicles having at least four wheels and used for the carriage of goods.
Category O :- Trailers (including semitrailers)
[/code:1]

So Joe, if your speedo is smack on the money, you should not be booked at precise 34.9 mph in 30 limit by an accurately calibrated GATSOMETER, 35 mph is the offence marker. You may well be booked if a different instrument is used to measure your speed.
;)

Apparently ...
Section 87 of the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 exempts certain emergency vehicles from speed limits if observance would hinder the use of the vehicle for the purpose it was being used for on that occasion.
An emergency vehicle may go through a red light, but must treat as give way sign.
Can break the speed limit attending emergency only.
Leave fire appliance unattended with the engine running if needed to work the water pump.
;)

empip said:
Ref the 33 and 34 mph...... Was it Gatso fixed radar/camera or a hand held type??

I believe hand-held devices were used.

joe-90 said:
dg123 said:
joe-90 said:

joe

Once the organ has been removed and put into cold storage there isn't a problem. It;s when it's in the donor body that it deteriorates.
Why would he travel at 36 in a 30 zone if he was in a hurry?

joe

It depends on the organ type; found this on the subject:

"All organs should be transplanted as soon as possible after the donor has been diagnosed 'brain stem' dead (legal death). Once the organs have been removed from the donor, hearts and lungs should be transplanted within 4 to 5 hrs, livers 5 to 6 hrs (some have been transplanted after 20hrs) and kidneys up to 48 hrs although 60 hrs has been reported. Tissues can be stored in Tissue Banks - corneas for 30 days, heart valves and bone several years, skin - fresh skin 7 days and stored skin indefinitely."

Maybe he was slowing to 36mph?

On the subject of 'police what a joke' Was it really necessary to raid the Big Brother house to confiscate Pete Burns's so called monkey coat.

What a waste of time and money, could it not have waited until the series had finished. All started by the daft cow Jodie Marsh, who stated on tv this morning that animals shouldn't be killed for their skins. Point of fact Jodie, leather is cow/pig/goat skin and you have been seen wearing leather shoes, belts etc etc. Dont be such a hypocrite.

You try getting the police to come out when your faced with a gang of yobs vandalising property, no chance. But for a chance to appear on TV and make the headlines in the daily papers, lets drop everything and get round there boys. :evil:

nstreet said:
On the subject of 'police what a joke' Was it really necessary to raid the Big Brother house to confiscate Pete Burns's so called monkey coat.

What a waste of time and money, could it not have waited until the series had finished. All started by the daft cow Jodie Marsh, who stated on tv this morning that animals shouldn't be killed for their skins. Point of fact Jodie, leather is cow/pig/goat skin and you have been seen wearing leather shoes, belts etc etc. Dont be such a hypocrite.

You try getting the police to come out when your faced with a gang of yobs vandalising property, no chance. But for a chance to appear on TV and make the headlines in the daily papers, lets drop everything and get round there boys. :evil:

It because he said the coat is made of gorilla fur - a protected species - and, if true, could face 5 years in prison.

as for the gorilla coat its a fake :LOL:

as for the gatso wtf r u lot on they are not watched 24/7 so go errr fix them

someone has taken out ( and i dont mean to dinner) 6 gatsos in my area and 2 truvellos all part of the game i guess

oh and the poor old mobile van unit has been clamped at one time :LOL:

if its good enough for the police its good enough for me i want to do 180 mph same as them too many rules = they get broken

A few years ago person or persons unknown used a chain and a landrover to re-position the Gatsos on the A40 between Oxford and Cheltenham - mostly left them at an angle of 30 degrees to the perpendicular.

Gatsos are OK in built-up areas but not in the middle of nowhere.

its not fake its monkey and he could still face prosecution for it. they had to act then in order to seize it and gain the evidence after the complaints were made. i hardly think the term raid is an accurate one!

Sponsored Links
Back