measuring..

if you mark on a board with a pencil cut out half the pencil mark

mark against a surface leave the line in or take it all out dependant off inner or outer edge

in an enclosed area[between walls] measure from one wall to a easy to remember point[1m or 2m for example] and mark then measure from the other side to the mark and add together

if you are doing repetitive marking mark the tape and transfer that mark

Again, that's what this site site is to the DIYer... helping them (like me) see the bleeding obvious, brilliant !!!

Thank you Big all !

Sponsored Links
if in doubt take out half the line then your within 1mm :D :D ;)

a compromise is often better than trying to be highly accurate if your brain is frazzled :D :D :cool:

Wood moves that's the problem,its a good design that soak's up the problems incorporating such features as loose panels ,internal scribe joint's T&g joints etc----

you don't have to worry about the loose bit on the end of the tape affecting your measurement
The whole point of that 'loose bit' is to NOT affect the measurement.
Every tape I've ever had has worn with use & ended up with the end moving more than intended, either the rivet loosens or the slot wears. If I want accuracy I always use a folding ruler nowadays especially for woodworking.

Sponsored Links
However, the reality is that the cross cut mitre saw actually cuts at 45.8 degs.... so gap appears...

Hmm , sounds to me like your using the mitre saw straight out of the box, without setting it up. Properly set up and adjusted, any good mitre saw should be capable of cutting exactly 45 degrees every time. There's literally no excuse there Sombrero. ;) ;)

Veritas bar guage head set....
barguageheadset.png

So a craftsman doesn't do measuring then?
I use the rod method every day on site to do measuring.
Usually a couple of re-bars lashed together. :LOL:

No matter what you make the less you use a tape measure the better and thats just one method of dispensing with the tape measure.

Albeit a method with a degree of finesse. :mrgreen:

So a craftsman doesn't do measuring then?
I use the rod method every day on site to do measuring.
Usually a couple of re-bars lashed together. :LOL:

No matter what you make the less you use a tape measure the better and thats just one method of dispensing with the tape measure.

Albeit a method with a degree of finesse. :mrgreen:

that'll be a measuring rod then, ;) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back