MEB to water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick clarification needed if possable please.

I've just completed the plumbing/heating on a new build and the water certs ask the main earthing is connected.

The supply to the house is plastic MDPE(blue) but all the internal from stop tap through is copper, is MEB still req'd.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Just a quick clarification needed if possable please.

I've just completed the plumbing/heating on a new build and the water certs ask the main earthing is connected.

The supply to the house is plastic MDPE(blue) but all the internal from stop tap through is copper, is MEB still req'd.

Lee

yes within 600mm on the incoming side

I would say yes
The point is to bond the installation, not the external pipe work (in your case plastic anyway)

The reason i asked was i'm a qualified spark but only did the wet on this job.

The electrical firm havent and wont bond the water, according to them they dont have to cos the incoming is plastic but like you say you bond the consumers side of the stop tap so what ever comes in is irrelevant.

Or have i always been doing it wrong. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nope, you are correct in the pipework should be bonded where it enters, page 25 (4.3) of the on site guide refers.

The electrical firm havent and wont bond the water, according to them they dont have to cos the incoming is plastic
Then they are idiots.

The risk you need to mitigate is that of the water becoming live (or a different ground potential) as a result of a fault outside the EPZ, i.e. outside your property.

I've never come across a firm so inept where heating controls and basic wiring is so poor. Maybe it's because all the employees are polish and one english supervisor oversigns all the work.

I ended up checking and altering all the heating wiring, having left all drawings with wiring centre terminal numbers and what goes where and having ran through it with the supervisor they still got it different to the info and the heating did alsorts apart from get hot.

As a second question the install is 28mm copper cold main to breaktank and pump set id normally cross bond between inlet and outlet is that right.

Third, Copper pipework leaves breaktank goes into loft where a section of plastic then runs through the loft but is then converted to copper on the other side of the building should this be cross bonded.

All 5 bathrooms are then fed in copper should these be supp bonded.(all other work done to 16th edition)

I'd have answered yes to all of those questions, am i right. :confused:

I've never come across a firm so inept where heating controls and basic wiring is so poor. Maybe it's because all the employees are polish and one english supervisor oversigns all the work.

Nationality does not cause sub standard work.

As a second question the install is 28mm copper cold main to breaktank and pump set id normally cross bond between inlet and outlet is that right.

Not a regulation in BS7671

Third, Copper pipework leaves breaktank goes into loft where a section of plastic then runs through the loft but is then converted to copper on the other side of the building should this be cross bonded.

Not a regulation in BS7671

All 5 bathrooms are then fed in copper should these be supp bonded.

Yes. All metallic services, and the CPC of all circuits which enter the bathroom.

I'd have answered yes to all of those questions, am i right. :confused:

No

Cheers RF. If it aint a reg it aint a reg.

In effect its not my concern but the forms i issue for hot and colds contain questions on bonding and i have to tick if ok etc.

House gets handed over tuesday, guess the sparks will be busy before then.

Nationality does not cause sub standard work.
And with electricians, if the guys are Polish electricians, and not Polish plumbers/jobbing builders/kitchen fitters/cowboys then you're probably guaranteed better work, because AFAIK the only way to become an electrician in Poland is the traditional time-served apprenticeship route - no 5-day wonders there....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back