Water main earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had a new water supply and internal stop cock installed in a new location in the house with the new mdpe blue pipework as the main supply. However there seems to be no earthing to the water connection?

Should the earthing of the water main have been done at the same time as the installation of the new stop cock?
photomain.JPG

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but i dont think that needs bonding as it cannot introduce a potential into the equipotential zone (your house).

Is that plumbing as diy as it looks?

Sponsored Links
You should be more concerned about the location of that socket with all those potential water leak spots around it. Is that damp or shadow one can see on walls and floor of cabinet.

Hi

We had a new water supply and internal stop cock installed in a new location in the house with the new mdpe blue pipework as the main supply. However there seems to be no earthing to the water connection?

Should the earthing of the water main have been done at the same time as the installation of the new stop cock?
As the service enters the property in an insulated material, there is no requirement for equipotential bonding.

As the service enters the property in an insulated material, there is no requirement for equipotential bonding.
You might think so but

Water can be conductive....... ( if it wasn't conductive then there wouldn't be all the fuss about electrics in bathrooms )

Some one might up (or down) grade the supply by replacing the the plastic water main with a metallic water main

You might think so but

Water can be conductive....... ( if it wasn't conductive then there wouldn't be all the fuss about electrics in bathrooms )

Some one might up (or down) grade the supply by replacing the the plastic water main with a metallic water main
Water is not as conductive as most people think! and according to BS7671 and guidance note 8, there is no requirement.

I have never come across any water undertaker replacing MDPE for metallic pipework, have you? As their standards are to remove metallic pipe and replace with MDPE.

I was being as bit sarcastic. In theory the water in a many metres of plastic pipe will not have sufficient conductivity to import a dangerous amount of current into copper pipe work that is within the equipotential zone. So it is is in theory not necessary to bond that incoming water supply.

Again with water mains it is most unlikely that a length of MDPE or other plastic pipe would be replaced with metal pipe. But not impossible, or as in friends house the MDPE pipe is about 2 metres long before it connects to the metallic water main and thus conductivity in the water could introduce a significant amount of current. In this case the plastic replaced a length of leaking metal pipe.

The question I would ask regarding the conductive qualities of water is:
Has anyone dangled a couple of lengths of copper cable in to a bath, then taken continuity test between them?

The question I would ask regarding the conductive qualities of water is: Has anyone dangled a couple of lengths of copper cable in to a bath, then taken continuity test between them?
Not literally in a bath but, in the distant past, I've certainly looked at conductivity of 'water' (in plastic buckets etc.), with and without 'additives'. As expected, one gets a very low conductivity (high resistance) with distilled/de-ionised water but with any 'real world' water, the results one gets are so dramatically dependent on 'the water' (i.e. what's 'in it') that one can't really generalise. Many products usually present in a bathroom will increase the conductivity a lot. I would also imagine that if someone with a 'sweaty body' has been in the bath, the amount of salt thereby added to the water would probably have a marked effect on conductivity - and that's before one even considers any other 'body fluids' :) .

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back