Media Server - Multi-satellite set up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance for this rather technical questions but here goes:

I am in the process of moving/upgrading my media server and would be really grateful for some hardware advice.

I currently have a headless server that is running TVHeadend. The server streams recordings/Live TV to a number of clients (RPis, running Libreelec), connected via a Gigabit switch.

I have three tuners in the server - a single DVB-S2 tuner and a dual DVB-T tuner.

The satellite tuner is connected to a mk4 Zone 1 minidish with a quad LNB.

I don't really have a pressing need to have both freeview and freesat and have decided to go for pure satellite.

In addition, I want to add a second motorised dish.

Ultimately, I want at least four signals from the LNB on the fixed dish, with a fifth connected to the rotor.

If possible, I would like to utilise unicable for the fixed dish to try and keep things as simple as possible (though not the end of the world if I don't).

My current satellite card is this:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novahds2.html

this is a PCI card and motherboard will have three pci-e slots free.

What are my options to get everything working?

I originally looked at quad DVB-S2 cards and their is essentially one by TBS. I have been warned against these as they are problematic with Linux.

I have it on good authority that these fully work with Linux and support Diseqc 1.2, which I will need for the rotor.

https://dvbshop.net/TechnoTrend-Budget-S2-4200-Twin-Dual-Tuner-remote-control-PCIe_1

If I buy two of these, for a total of five tuners, I assume that I can run one of the feeds from the technotrend to the rotor and then the four remaining tuners to the fixed satellite.

However, is there any merit in trying to do this with less than five cables, when:

1. I would have to replace the fixed satellite with a unicable LNB, which in turn would mean a non-sky minidish too.
2. Unicable adds a small degrade in the signal.
3. It is unclear whether you can use unicable to split over multiple cards (I assume that for this, you would have to use a unicable LNB to combine the four signals and then a four way unicable splitter for the other end).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Apologies I have no experience running the TBS cards under linux. However I use the TBS quad tuner DVB-S2 card under Win7 (32bit) and its rock solid. So too was a quad TBS DVB-T card that I've used in the past.

There is a TBS 8 tuner pcie card that initially was released only with Linux drivers. Its install instructions:
https://www.tbsiptv.com/download/tbs6909/tbs6909_user_guide.pdf
while a little broken English, discuss installation under Linux and it appears capable of handling multiple satellites.

It (and the quad) is available on Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon, sold by a third party which I think still qualifies for Amazon's 30 day return/refund window...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back