Media server power settings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5-6 year old desktop computer (built myself) that I wish to use as a music/media server (though it is vastly over-specced for this, even by todays standards so it will also be used as a normal desktop pc). It is connected wirelessly to my Virgin hub, and the only device that will be accessing the media is my laptop (about 5 years old). Both run Windoze 7 SP1.

Both computers have itunes installed, and this is the only software I will be using to "share" media via its own home sharing system. I already have this set up.

So, what I want to do is have the desktop computer "turn itself on" at certain times and then shut itself down at certain times. OR (if possible) wake up when i start the laptop.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Just an idea, but if the desktop can be set to "wake on LAN", you could create a batch file on the laptop to ping it. Drag this batch file into the laptop's "startup" section of the start menu, and it should run at boot.

No idea if this will actually work, but it sounds as though it might be possible...

Keep us posted, be interested to see how you get on.

Cheers,
Colin

Boot up the desktop and hit ESC, F1, or F12 - whichever key will let you get into the BIOS settings of the machine (it should say on the POST screen).

From within here, check if you can set 'auto power times' or similar, most BIOS offer such an option, so the machine can come on by itself, at a certain time.

Does depend on your BIOS though, perhaps under Power Management.

Depending on the age of the machine, you could download a BIOS update, which *may* provide these options.

:)

Sponsored Links
Back