Meeting of 2 colours on door frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to repaint the lounge, hallway (down and upstairs) and dining room - I know I'm a glutten for punishment!

What I would like to do is have an offwhite/cream colour for the lounge and hallway, with a green in the dining room BUT the lounge and hall will have a brown painted skirting and door frames.

This would not look right in the dining room obviously and I was wondering if it is the done thing to paint half the door frame brown (outside frame) and the other white (inside frame)?

If not how can I get the brown skirting/frames with the cream walls look I am after, but blended into different colours for other rooms?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Mark

Sponsored Links
I'm better doin than telling .. but here goes :LOL:
standing outside the brown should cover the doorstops, so that when door is closed no white is seen . a rag and white spirit will help to keep clean the interior of frame where the door sits (door jam) also the hinge post should be brown so that looking into room from hall you will see no white. The door hinge edge should also be brown. You may find brown creeping round into room edges so the rag and white spirit will be neeeded.. Leave to dry then paint the white, again using rag to clean up any smudges onto the brown...The lock side of door shoul be included in white so no brown shows from inside the room ..
I would normally paint the white first let it dry then do the brown....
I just hope your door opens into the room :eek: :LOL:
good luck....

Thanks for your post.

I was desperate not to go down the 'normal/boring' white skirting/door frame route, but everyone keeps telling me I'm mad and it wont work.

Well given a paint brush, tin of nice chocolate brown paint and a day or 2 we shall see who prevails! :confused:

An expensive option unlkess you can go to the library, but the Readers Digest DIY manual has a large picture showing what colour every surface of a door and door frame should be painted if you have two different colour rooms.

Sponsored Links
confidentincompetent said:
I'm better doin than telling .. but here goes :LOL:
standing outside the brown should cover the doorstops, so that when door is closed no white is seen . a rag and white spirit will help to keep clean the interior of frame where the door sits (door jam) also the hinge post should be brown so that looking into room from hall you will see no white. The door hinge edge should also be brown. You may find brown creeping round into room edges so the rag and white spirit will be neeeded.. Leave to dry then paint the white, again using rag to clean up any smudges onto the brown...The lock side of door shoul be included in white so no brown shows from inside the room ..
I would normally paint the white first let it dry then do the brown....
I just hope your door opens into the room :eek: :LOL:
good luck....

Cheers Jon...rather you than me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back