Megaflo discharge pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to fit a pair of Megaflo cylinders in a basement. My problem is running the dischage pipe to a suitable and safe place. I have been told that there is some kind of 'thingy' that the dischage pipe can run to that can automatically pump the very hot dischage water up and out the building, I guess much like a condensate pump. Anyone heard of such a device and where I could get one from? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of a pump that could handle 90 degree hot water at full mains pressure!!!

I vaguely think that I have heard of something.

However, I think that you must ask the helpline for Megaflow as they will probably have a better chance of telling you something useful.

Tony

I take it the installation is being OKed with BC. They are very 'hot' on discharge pipes and how it is terminated.

BC do not care if you do not notify them. When something goes wrong, you better have your passport and running shoes ready as they will be after you if plans have not been submitted.

Sponsored Links
All discharge pipes must 'fall' continuously to point of outlet. What pump, if available, would be able to react fast enough to the tprv opening and discharging?

I would say that all un-vented cylinders are unsuitable for fitting in basements :eek:

You can go into a soil pipe(etc) through a HepVo trap, or into a bucket with a sump pump, depending on your local BC. They're the ones to ask.

22) No "Time wasting" posts

Posts, which are of no benefit to anyone,or the topic will be removed with no further warning, this includes appeals, questionaires, etc

That last posting by Softus seems to fall into the category defined in Rule 22 !

Granted. Yours doesn't of course. :rolleyes:

In any case, you appear not to know why MOD 2 took the action he did, but sometimes there's more to things than meet the eye...

Softus said:
Granted. Yours doesn't of course. :rolleyes:

In any case, you appear not to know why MOD 2 took the action he did, but sometimes there's more to things than meet the eye...

well it is of interest to me

did anyone find out about that pump??

i would but I am tooo lazy by half :)

Have you considered a HW only thermal store ??.
No need for any safety approvals regarding pressure from any leglislative authority's so no one chasing after you and no need for a discharge pipe.

Interesting question and interesting answers! I would say its a none starter myself, regards safely warning occupants with visible discharge?

We have come across this problem too.

One of our unvented manufacturers suggest using the HepV trap and then discharging into a steel tank.

We have not found a sump pump rated at a temperature higher than 80 degrees, and I think this was a Saniflo laundry model.

This layout is not really covered by building regs in that they do not describe such a situation.

The steel tank should dissipate some of the heat from the discharge, and of course the UV cylinder is drawing in cold all the time a discharge is taking place, so the temperature will drop. We are aware that this is a common solution and have not heard of any actions resulting.

The only job where I had to specify this, we didn't get, so have not fitted this solution myself.

simond said:
One of our unvented manufacturers suggest using the HepV trap and then discharging into a steel tank.
Why use a trap at all if discharging into a tank? The point of the trap is to prevent drain air from passing into dwelling.

discharge into an ali. tank with fins on and a large barrier round it with a BIG sign saying "Very hot water, may @ unknown times be contained within the cistern" (not a tank as it`s open to atmosphere :rolleyes: )and notify local BC ...ODPM ..H+S exec and Ken Frigging Livingstone :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: keep 3 copies of each letter filed for 7 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back