Megaflo Hot Water Valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Megaflo unvented indirect cylinder CL210HE fitted in the house as per photo below.

I understand the valve boxed in blue is to stop the mains cold water feed going into the Megaflo and turning that off would turn the hot water off, but any idea what the ball valve boxed in red is for? It says it's the hot water stop valve but it seems to be connected to the same cold water pipe??

I had a leak at the top of the Megaflo hot outlet last week and the plumber fixed it but left this hot water stop valve in the off position and I still had hot water to taps and shower without any issues for several days. However I wasn't sure so turned the red valve back to the open position but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to anything.

1.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. The one with the red handle will only stop the hot water. It shuts off the mains water going into the cylinder, and is it this which pushes the hot water out of the top, it cuts the flow of hot.
2. The black plastic handled valve cuts off the mains to combination valve (black plastic / brass valve to which the handles is fitted). This will also cut off the hot water, but also any cold outlets attached to the combination valve. Likely to be all, or virtually all, cold taps / cisterns but possibly not the kitchen cold tap.

The red handled valve should have shut off the hot water, there would have been residual pressure in the cylinder once it was turned off but if you say you then used the hot water for several days and copious amounts of the hot water, then the valve must be broken. Was it fully @ 90deg?

The red handled valve should have shut off the hot water, there would have been residual pressure in the cylinder once it was turned off but if you say you then used the hot water for several days and copious amounts of the hot water, then the valve must be broken. Was it fully @ 90deg?
I was wondering this same question...definitely had at least several showers whilst the red handled valve was at the 90deg position though I can't remember for certain if it was fully at 90deg or a bit less. Guess the plumber would have told me (I hope) if the valve was broken since they used it. Just worried if I did any damage to the Megaflo in the few days where the valve was in the off position and I was getting hot water, but everything seems to be working fine now fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back