Megger MFT 1720 vs Megger MFT 1552 vs Fluke 1653B

Very easily - they were not battery powered.
Insulation testers had a winding handle on the side, and loop impedance testers were powered from the same mains circuit they were testing.

Sponsored Links
So I take it FlamePort that normal non-lithium Duracell batteries would not cut it then?

Why not just design the product with more batteries in parallel for higher current?

My megger already has 8 AA batteries. Not sure how many are in the Fluke, probably the same. Some of the newer Meggers and likely flukes are rechargeable but anymore than 8 AA adds weight and size, I've never had a problem - I just user Eneloop rechargeables in mine and just keep an eye on the battery voltage when I turn it on

normal non-lithium Duracell batteries would not cut it then?
They are alkaline batteries so will be ok.
The cheap zinc carbon or zinc chloride types will not, zinc chlorides often being labelled 'heavy duty' or similar which is only true compared to zinc carbon.
Both are far worse than alkaline or lithium types for high current devices.

Not sure how many are in the Fluke
6 AA for 9 volts. It does not work at all once the voltage falls below 6 volts , and starts to be unreliable well before that.

Sponsored Links
Always ever used Fluke. I have the 1653 and can't really fault it. Bought it on eBay when I started on my own, was in as new condition only a month old and paid £200 for it!

If I go for a Megger once I have saved up, then I will get a MFT 1730 if I can get it for a good price? The MFT 1720 is nice, just wish it had the ability to recall and download results. IMO that should be a bog standard feature these days.

Any one know how much it costs to get the firmware updated on the MFT 1700 series should it be needed? How reliable are they (assuming their looked after), do they often fail calibration?

The ability to store and recall/download results is all well and good, but if the software you use for your certs is different, you may as well not bother.

We have no issue with an iPad+NICEIC app and either a 1653 or 1552. I wouldn't bother going for the 1720 over the 1552, don't get me wrong, it's got some good features the 1552 doesn't, but you can pick up a 1552 much cheaper. Do you really need to do max Zs and phase rotation? I doubt it

Just seen the price of the Megger powersuite software :eek: :cry:, I was hoping it was free and you could then copy the stored values in raw text to your application of choice.

With the extra £100-£200 I will likely end up paying for the MFT 1730 vs 1720 along with the cost of the powersuite software, I think I will just get the MFT 1720 and use a app on my phone to keep track of readings if their is no 3rd part software available for the MFT 1730.

UPDATE: It seems that the Megger Download Manager is free after all and I would be able to get data off a MFT 1730 in CSV format. :D

The expensive software is for creating official certificates/EICR's with client and job management facility's.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back