Recommendations for a Multi Function Tester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a few bits and pieces with domestic electrics and am repeatedly finding a need for something like the above. I have a fluke 2 pole tester that I use for safe isolation and continuity but I think the latter is very primitive on these devices.

I think the MFT could help me with the following:
- continuity tests
- cross connections across ring
- Insulation resistance
- figuring out the route of a ring circuit

Clearly, I am limited to what I know from my limited experience and would like your view on other capabilities that I should consider in this purchase.
I am hoping an ebay purchase would suffice for my purposes but would welcome your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I don't have a recommendation for a specific model I'm afraid, but a few years ago I sourced several second-hand meters from eBay at reasonable prices (these things new are very expensive if considered only for occasional DIY). One was an obviously brand new Robin KMP3075DL insulation and continuity tester for a fraction of the new price; it was surplus stock from the MOD. The taxpayers' loss was my gain...

If buying second hand, do factor in the cost of calibration.

Looking at a Megger MFT 1711 which comes with a Calibration Certificate. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but I think it will future proof me. Only need it for domestic electrics and hoping that it performs well in that setting.
It would be very helpful to get some validation/comment on this. Thanks in advance.

I have asked for this one non of my children have got it me yet, 1655224788053.png but it will read down to 0.001 amp so can check for earth leakage, and it also measures DC amps, and about the cheapest I can find. Since no wired amp range there is no way to cause a short circuit using it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry wrong type of multi-function tester, however calibration is a mute point, sent PAT tester away for calibration, and it did not say at what insulation resistance it showed pass light, so requested to know what the pass level was, seems they could not find the traceable record, and requested it was returned, then said it was too old to calibrate to modern standard so all PAT tests were invalid, what was the point in getting it calibrated?

I now just re-test some item with know results before and after using so I know if drifted, and main point is I know before I have a whole load of tests which will be invalid if it has gone out.

I have asked for this one non of my children have got it me yet, View attachment 272094 but it will read down to 0.001 amp so can check for earth leakage, and it also measures DC amps, and about the cheapest I can find. Since no wired amp range there is no way to cause a short circuit using it.
I have one of them. I bought it for the DC mA range to find battery drain on the van.

Also have Fluke 1652.

EDIT - and Fluke 116 and 117 and Dilog DL 6507.

Last edited:
Looking at a Megger MFT 1711 which comes with a Calibration Certificate. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but I think it will future proof me. Only need it for domestic electrics and hoping that it performs well in that setting.

Cheaper without a calibration cert. and if you are not a professional working for payment, no need for the CC.. Modern instruments drift very little, many are self calibrating, many are not even able to be adjusted, so modern calibration is more about just certifying they are accurate.

In many cases, you can simply check the calibration is accurate, using accurate known values of components. I keep sets of standard resistors, capacitors, voltage and frequency references specially for the purpose of checking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back