wander lead for fluke 2 pole tester

I appreciate the hammering I may be in for but here are my mods to go with an extension lead - to act as a wonder lead.

I always intend to check and isolate power before using this “equipment”.

It looks like a suicide lead to me. Hope you have no kids in the house, or you keep it carefully locked away when not in use.

Sponsored Links
It looks like a suicide lead to me. Hope you have no kids in the house, or you keep it carefully locked away when not in use.
Because of that consideration, I would hope that the wander leads are connected only to the earth terminals of the plug/socket, in which case there would be no hazard - no different from what my plug-in Kewtech thingies do.

Kind Regards, John

Because of that consideration, I would hope that the wander leads are connected only to the earth terminals of the plug/socket, in which case there would be no hazard - no different from what my plug-in Kewtech thingies do.

Kind Regards, John

I would hope that all three conductors are only connected to the earth terminal inside the plug..

I would hope that all three conductors are only connected to the earth terminal inside the plug..
If there were three conductors in the wander leads, then that would be the obvious and sensible thing to do, not the least because it would reduce the resistance of the extension lead by a factor of three. However, I'm not at all sure that there will be three conductors to 'connect' to anything, since there's no reason why those wander leads need to be more than single core.

The Kewtech thingies clearly use only the 'earth' conductor of the extension cable, since the L and N pins of the 'plug' part are plastic :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The Kewtech thingies clearly use only the 'earth' conductor of the extension cable, since the L and N pins of the 'plug' part are plastic :)

The OP's lead looks like a 3-core, but I may be wrong, in which case the natural thing would be to connect the correct wires to the normally connected points in the plug - which was my concern. Safer, even than connecting all three to the earth, would be to saw off both the L and N pins, flat back to the plug, or remove them completely, if they are loose - as per your Kewtech.

The OP's lead looks like a 3-core, but I may be wrong...
I agree that it does rather look like that, but it obviously doesn't need to be.
... Safer, even than connecting all three to the earth, would be to saw off both the L and N pins, flat back to the plug, or remove them completely, if they are loose - as per your Kewtech.
Hmmm. You would thereby have created a 'tool' which children (or adult idiots) could use for opening the shutters of a high proportion of sockets (certainly any of those in my house!).

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back