Mem RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently acquired a Mem RCBO (Pod + MCB type) and was wondering how it works. The neutral is OK as there is a feed to the RCD Pod and the load is taken from the Pod. The live seems to be taken direct from the MCB output through a hole in the pod and therefore doesn't seem to be routed electrically through the Pod. I don't want to dismantle it just to satisfy my curiosity, but I cant see how the live is monitored by the Pod for RCD tripping.

TIA

John

Sponsored Links
The pod has to be attached to a compatible MCB for it to work.

the line goes in through the bottom of the MCB and out through the top of the pod.

Yep, the pod is attached to an MCB, but the line goes in at the bottom as you say and then appears to exit from the MCB at the MCB's normal connector. It then goes through the pod effectively in an access "tube", but doesn't seem to be electrically connected to the pod at all. I would have thought the bottom of the pod would be connected to the top terminal of the MCB, and then offer a new line connector on the top of the pod in order to allow the line to flow through the pod.

John

Sponsored Links
it's a CT.. that's all..
the "tube" acts like a clamp meter and measures the current flowing through the wire..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back