memera21

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I am having loft converted do your lads think that it would be a good time to have my consumer unit changed for one that is a bit more modern.At present I have a Memera 21 with MCB,s.I will be having a trician for supplying the lights and sockets for the loft also some tidying up of the wiring up there.What sort of price would this be certifying testing all circuits ect,roughly.

Sponsored Links
the Memera 21 is obsolete and yours is quite likely pretty old.

This sounds like a good time to upgrade to something more modern. The MEM brand is good quality, the current models have a good range of RCBOs if you can afford the extra. Compared to the cost of the loft conversion an extra £30 per circuit will hardly notice.

Since loft conversion comes under the building control yes it would be ideal time to up-grade as even if your spark is not registered it will come under same LABC charge.

As to which one more sparks have their own favourite and likely best guided by him. But there is the amount of RCD devices used to consider.

You will have at least two RCD devices with homes on TT supply likely a split board will be used and you have little choose. But with TN-C-S supply you don't need double pole switching and you can use RBCO's which are a MCB and RCB combined.

Normally RCBO's work out more costly but they reduce the chance of them tripping for no apparent reason. However it can also result in not realising they have tripped. You need to talk this over with your spark and decide best option.

Do be aware work like this can expose faults and sometimes it leads to more work.

if your having a new CU put in, it will need to be notified anyway, I can't see a reason why it can'T be applied for on the same notice as rest of the work.
So if your talking about notification the fees vary from region to region.
In my area it would a minimum of 135GPB. But other member for example Coljack council do it cheaper.
It is worked out pro rata the cost of the work to be done, by what a tradesman would charge.

If your are talking about a registered competent person who can self cert the work, doing this it would depend on the volume of work and again the area you live.
Where I live 3 bed semi could range between 200-300 GBP for install, the unit it's self will depend on the size and quality.

Sponsored Links
It is a bungalow so like you have said it would be wise to upgrade now rather than have problems when a new floor is laid over the now exposed easy to get at wiring.So probably £500 should cover work if everything test ok.Thanks for the replies..

It is a bungalow so like you have said it would be wise to upgrade now rather than have problems when a new floor is laid over the now exposed easy to get at wiring.So probably £500 should cover work if everything test ok.Thanks for the replies..
Should be more than enough in sunny Sheffield assuming you have no major problems. The CU change should include a PIR, highlighting any problems. Probably up the hill from you - mine cost around £350 for a split load board with a couple of RCBO's last year. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back