Mending a scanner

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a scanner that I lent to someone, and when I collected it I brought it home in a bag on end (it was working when I collected it) Now when it scans the traveller seems to get stuck, I hear it clicking fast and the print of the scan shows the same line has been scanned multiple time. If I hit it, it usually frees off for that page only.

I am thinking of takling it apart and trying to fix it, and clues or suggestions?

ta

Sponsored Links
yeah carefully.

either that or just bin it and get a new 1,its only a scanner,they cant be that expensive now???
or look in your local free ad,to see if any one is getting rid of theres???

stand-alone scanners seem to start at £70 now

I thought they used to be cheaper

there are lots of all-in-one inkjet printers incorporating a scanner around, but I already have a fast laser printer.

there are lots of all-in-one inkjet printers incorporating a scanner around, but I already have a fast laser printer.

blimey,didnt realize they were still that much :eek:
attempt a repair or as said free ad or ebay?

Sponsored Links
It should be possible to fix it, just be gentle. The mechanism should be fairly simple and obvious once it's open.

You can get a perfectly good scanner in a multifunction for about £40, or a standalone for about £50. If you have space for a multifunction, I say go for it. A spare printer never hurts..

blimey,didnt realize they were still that much :eek:
attempt a repair or as said free ad or ebay?

£70.00 is peanuts.. you will pay a LOT more for a decent scanner..

Try the Microtek Scanmaker I900... Now thats a scanner..............

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deskjet-F2480-Printer-Print-Copy/dp/B002KFZLLQ/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

Not very good scanner resolution, IMO. Would not be suitable for photographic purposes but ok for the odd scanned snapshot. Ink also quite expensive!
He wants a scanner not a printer and what would you expect for £40! :rolleyes:

I realize its a scanner he is after.. thats why I mentioned the resolution.
Seperate items will always be better that combinations ( remember how BAD video/tv combinations where!

I am thinking of taking it apart and trying to fix it, and clues or suggestions?

Not a mention of buying a new one, whether a stand-alone or PSC!

John,
What make and model is it to see if we can get a maintenance manual for it.

dave

thanks

it is a Mercury 1200

As far as I can remember it was not expensive. I mostly use it for photocopying onto my laser printer, but it also copies photos quite nicely, and machine parts

No luck with a manual and teh Mercury site is worse than useless.

Open it up and have a look, but do it just after it sticks on the traversing, that way youi should be able to make out what it is catching on.

dave

You can operate the mechanism manually to find the stuck point. It's likely that it'll be plainly visible once open anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back