Metal behind plasterboard so cannot hang curtain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Hope someone can help. I live in a new build. Im trying to hang a custom sized blind in a window recess, but upon drilling holes, there seems to be metal running the full length of the window just after the plasterboard. It's about 20mm in, so I can't use any anchor style fixings. Theres barely 5mm between the plaster board and the metal.
The blind weighs about 6kg.
How could I go about trying to hang this?
There used to be a curtain rod hanging in front of the window, but the kids pulled that one out, so that's why I'm going the recess route with blinds this time.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6071.jpg
    IMG_6071.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 213
Sponsored Links
Steel drill bit and self tapping screws. It's a steel lintel.

Sponsored Links
Oh..I see. Thought the metal was maybe protecting some electric cables or something, but you're probably right. Also thought lintels were always wood or concrete.
Alright, this is officially beyond my DIY level. I think I'll call in professionals. Just to hang a blind :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Can you modify the mountings so that you can attach to the sides of the recess?

Can you modify the mountings so that you can attach to the sides of the recess?
I can actually order side mountings from the blind company, but I'm concerned about the width of the blind. It's about 560mm wide.

I had a similar issue and made up a ""goal post" out of wood and painted it. I attached the blind to that and the wood I used was the same size as the UPVC frame. Mine is recessed right up to the frame though, not sure how it would look if it was a few inches out like yours will be?
Oh I used coving adhesive to stop the goal post from moving once it was fitted into the recess and I also made sure it was a tight fit.

I had a similar issue and made up a ""goal post" out of wood and painted it. I attached the blind to that and the wood I used was the same size as the UPVC frame. Mine is recessed right up to the frame though, not sure how it would look if it was a few inches out like yours will be?
Oh I used coving adhesive to stop the goal post from moving once it was fitted into the recess and I also made sure it was a tight fit.
Yeah, I thought about doing something like that, but because the blind was made to custom measurement, its so tight a fit in the recess. There's barely few millimetres gap on the sides. In hindsight I should have given it a bit more room.

I've stuck a strip of wood to the wall with no more nails and hung a curtain on that. Painted same colour as wall. If sticking to the top of the reveal you could also pop in a couple of small brackets just for peace of mind, although good glue can hold 5kg

IMG_20210324_100441536_HDR.jpg

Can your brackets not be used for rear mounting and then put the blinds in front of the goal post?

Hi all,
Just wanted to update. Finally Got the curtain hanging. Used Gripit’s.
Thanks for all the ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back