Metal Clad Consumer Unit Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a metal clad consumer unit and I have just replaced a breaker and noticed there is a brass bolt going through the side of the unit and its not connected to anything... what are these there for?

Sponsored Links
sometimes the bolt is there incase you need to lug on any large earthing or bonding cables, the earth bars rarely take larger than 16mm cables, some older switchgear never even had earthbars and all the earths had to be lugged on to the bolt.
Sometimes the same bolt connects the earth bar to the casing, as TTC said the case must be earthed.

Sponsored Links
Look at the earth busbar itself and test that there is continuity between the case and the busbar. If there is, then no problem.

Can you post a picture of this board, including the lug/bolt and the earth busbar/terminals within the unit.
As this may help confirm if what you have is safe with regards to the metallic casing being earthed.
But often on metal clad boxes the earth busbar is directly connected to the casing and would not normally require additional bonding.

Can you post a picture of this board, including the lug/bolt and the earth busbar/terminals within the unit.
As this may help confirm if what you have is safe with regards to the metallic casing being earthed.
But often on metal clad boxes the earth busbar is directly connected to the casing and would not normally require additional bonding.

I cant get a pic at the moment but its a CED Axiom consumer unit with 100a isolator and 10x RCBOs. The earth bar is sat on a fold of metal welded on the unit its self.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back