Metal Consumer Unit and glands (indoors)

B

blownfuse

Hi Guys,

What's the regs point of view on cable glands and metal consumer units indoors?

I'm sourcing all the parts for a CU update and I've got a metal unit (super bargain price).

I have domed glands for the main 25mm² tails as it's how I'd like it (wire chafing on metal worry) but do I need to have glands on the rest of the circuits coming in according to the regs? I have a bunch but I'll have to source flat inserts for the T&E.

I'm not finding concise answers anywhere and most seem to concern the IP rating if outdoors/shed/garage arrangement.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
There will be IP requirements depending on where the cable entries are, but AFAIK nothing that requires actual glands. Where will your cables enter the CU?

If you want them, use them, but good luck with stuffing glands for the larger sizes of T/E.

Yeh that's what I was thinking with the bigger ones. The bigger glands are huge too!

If they come through the top they'll likely need glands as without them crap will just get in the CU over time. :)

The cables enter mainly from above (ceiling down) but a couple from below.

I might make life a whole lot easier and set them up to come through the back. It's on a wall and some of the render has been removed to accommodate the old setup but I'll work out a safe and workable way if glands aren't necessary to the regs.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Yup, for sure :)

I was going to put a board on but yeh...decent poly spacers and job's a good'n. I have a little room in the cupboard to do it (after I've replastered)

Gonna be powerless for a bit too long but I'm going to be able to finally have a shower! lol

I think you've got the right idea, mount the CU onto a good bit of chipboard or ply (I suppose something fireproof would be sensible, although probably not entirely necessary), and it'll make bringing the cables in via the rear much easier. It should also make it easier to find good, solid fixings in the wall, as you're not constrained by the mounting holes in the CU.

Remember that the tails must not enter the CU through seperate holes !

Really? Well I never knew that.

What's the reason for this?

I thought side by side but through their own gland would be super safe and sensible. lol

So only metal CUs? lol Typical. Makes sense why it's fine for the very same set-up coming out of the cutoff and meter.

Good call and thanks guys.

Edit: That really is an excellent read.

You can take them through seperate knock outs in your metal consumer unit but only if you cut a slot in the enclosure betwen the holes

but then that defies the IP rating so not a good idea

Nick

Totally.

There's a large knockout in the unit where you'd expect but not sure how any IP rating will be upheld.

Maybe achieve 23 using the knockout or 33 if I drill my own.

I'll look into whether that's ok for a consumer unit indoors.

I don't want it to fail it's certs etc as I need them.

What certificates?

Who will be issuing them?

Why do you need them?

Are you sure that you're competent to be replacing CUs?

EIC.

The meter company needs it before they'll hook up the new isolator.

I'm lucky enough to have qualified friends to do the certs and notification. FULLY and legitimately.

And yeh, I'm competent enough to do the work myself. Although granted...the alternating flux is something new to me.

Shame the qualified electrician who did the house before we bought it wasn't competent. Plastering over flex joined with tape was one of the many awesome things we've found! Jesus! lol

I'm lucky enough to have qualified friends to do the certs and notification. FULLY and legitimately.
So they're going to legitimately declare they did design and installation work which they didn't actually do?

Hmm....

And yeh, I'm competent enough to do the work myself. Although granted...the alternating flux is something new to me.
Do you not think that shows that there might be other things new to you that you have no idea about?

If you'd already decided to bring the cables in through the rear, and therefore not asked here about glands you'd have put the tails in through 2 separate holes thinking you were competent enough to do the work yourself...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back