Metal curve help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hopefully this is in the right place. mom going to build a bbq smoker from an oil drum.

I have something I want to stencil on the front of it, however I like to make things more difficult for myself so am wanting to stencil some kind of metal plate and screw this down at 4 corners

Is there any metal I can get that will curve around a drum to then be fastened down? Doesn’t have to be thick, but I thought something aluminium or stainless as I could use the metal as it’s natural colour for what I’m stencilling around

hope that makes sense

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Could do that.
I’m just wondering what thickness I could get away with that would kind of flex all the way across without bending in the middle of that makes sense. It will be held In place with bolts.

I only want 250mm width by around 150mm high but no idea if there is any give in the thin stuff like stainless or whether it will just end up with a kink in it

Stainless is pretty hard to work, thin mild steel sheet, aluminium or even copper could be used depending on temperature....consider fixing with pop rivets?
Mild steel will rust of course if that's a problem.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It’s for an outside smoker. Beginning to think it would be easier to do away with the plate and stencil to the drum.

If the curve is in the 150 height then a 250mm piece of the outer skin of a twin wall ss flue pipe should fit the bill.
See if you can scrounge an old bit from the scrappy or stove shop. If you lived within range, I have loads of it to be weighed in you'd be welcome to

Back