Metal distribution board needed for safety report?

Volcano-lava-flow.jpg

Sponsored Links
The point is, it is not an electrical regulation.
Unfortunatly it is, whether we like it or not!
I presume EFLI's point is that, although it appears in the Wiring Regulations, it is in no way an "electrical regulation" - if anything, it is a "fire regulation". Related true electrical regulations would be those that sought to reduce the risk of the contents of the CU enclosure starting an 'electrical fire'. The regulation we're talking about seeks only to reduce/slow the spread of fire after it has started - what has that got to do with electricity?

Kind Regards, John

I would like to confirm the above as I am utterly fed up with this so-called new regulation (which has nothing to do with the electrical regulations) and the stupidity which has ensued.

and a previously acceptable cabling for the cooker and electric shower must be upgraded
If it was acceptable then it still is - within reasonable time restraints.

Could someone explain the new requirements,
No one knows what non-combustible means in this regard.

and how they apply retrospectively to previously acceptable installations
They don't.

or am I being taken for a ride?
As you have stated - yes.

Also, there is no requirement for nor any such thing 'Electrical Safety Inspections' for flats although you have a duty of care to ensure it is safe for use.

There is an Electrical Installation Condition Report, which is the same for any installation and is very detailed, so if what you had done cost less than £150 I would maintain it has not been carried out properly and is no more than a blame-shifter.

I am sorry, I should have been more specific regarding the type of report. What I need is a Landlord's electrical safety report, the equivalent of the gas safety certificate but a more recent requirement, I think.

Sponsored Links
I was looking at some new build houses under construction the other day. They were being fitted with plastic Hager CUs!

Could someone explain the new requirements, and how they apply retrospectively to previously acceptable installations - or am I being taken for a ride?
Consumer units must be 'non-combustible' from January 2016.
Older installations do NOT need to be upgraded to comply.
Even if you wanted it upgraded, another option is to enclose the existing consumer unit inside a 'non-combustible' cabinet.

Unless the rewire a year ago was done using plasticine insulated cables with sockets/switches made of butter, the rest of the suggested works are not needed either.

There are no landlord certificates for any electrical work - the only requirement is that the installation is safe. This will already be confirmed by the installation certificate you got when it was rewired. Installations are normally inspected again after 10 years, possibly at a change of tenants, or if there is some other good reason for doing so such as after a flood etc.

A funny thing really. We are the first response to calls regarding fires at the meter position as obviously we are authorised to remove the cut-out fuse. (OK there are others and we have no real objection to the fire service doing it)

But

Surprise, surprise we rarely get calls to CU fires that require isolating, I think in the last five years we have had two in this patch.
To me it seems as though it is a London thing (dawn south)

Surprise, surprise we rarely get calls to CU fires that require isolating, I think in the last five years we have had two in this patch. ... To me it seems as though it is a London thing (dawn south)
I've yet to be convinced that, in terms of the 'big picture', it is a significant 'thing' even dawn south.

When one thinks of the countless additional millions that are probably going to be spent over the next few years in installing (more expensive) metal (or whatever) CUs, I can't help but wonder whether the same investment in some other safety-related direction might not save a lot more lives/injuries.

Kind Regards, John

What I find odd as well (possibly I've mentioned it before) is that cut-outs and meters will continue to be made out of the plastics they now are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back