Metal DNO CutOuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know most if not all, DNOs don't like working on metal cutouts and prefer to do a 'dig & cut' externally to isolate before replacing.

Is this also true of the bigger, industrial, cutouts?

A full power down is planned at work. WPD are booked to isolate at 08:00 Sat & re-energise at 12:00 on Sun while the main switch & busbars are replaced. However, the cutout is a 400A three phase metalclad Lucy cutout.... I wondering if the DNO guy is just gonna turn up, take one look at it, whistle through his teeth & walk away.....

Sponsored Links
I know most if not all, DNOs don't like working on metal cutouts and prefer to do a 'dig & cut' externally to isolate before replacing.
Not true, UKPN have loads of manuals on how to do it available online.

Also by way of further evidence, we had a metal 3 phase cutout full of pitch a couple of years ago and they happily pulled the (rewirable) fuses, chopped the PILC cable off (while live), and terminated it into a new plastic cutout in just about the same place.

.... they happily pulled the (rewirable) fuses, chopped the PILC cable off (while live), and ....
Do I take it that you mean that they chopped the cores of the cable, separately, rather than the whole cable at once?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
they chopped the cores of the cable, separately

The chopper could be a ceramic blade moving very fast that slices all the cores in a clean cut without distorting the cable. Being non conducting ceramic it will not create a short between cores

Do I take it that you mean that they chopped the cores of the cable, separately, rather than the whole cable at once?!
Correct, maybe chopped is not the best word!
I didn't watch like a hawk, but never did they have more than one core exposed at a time, and when exposed they wore glorified marigolds.

The chopper could be a ceramic blade moving very fast that slices all the cores in a clean cut without distorting the cable. Being non conducting ceramic it will not create a short between cores
Are you sure - that sounds a bit iffy?

Kind Regards, John

Correct, maybe chopped is not the best word! I didn't watch like a hawk, but never did they have more than one core exposed at a time, and when exposed they wore glorified marigolds.
That sounds reasonable, and what I would have expected. I'm not at all sure about what bernard has suggested.

Kind Regards, John

The principle is similar but the "blade" is non conductive.
Fair enough, but I presume that, no matter how fast the cut (with an non-conductive blade), there can be no guarantee that some contact between conductors will never result.

Kind Regards, John

If you cut twin and earth or some other flat conductor you would be ok, to some high level of certainly.

If you cut twin and earth or some other flat conductor you would be ok, to some high level of certainly.
Yes, if one cut T+E in the right plane (with a non-conductive blade), you'd be unlucky to have a problem, but that would not require any 'fancy' kit - side-cutters with a non-metallic blade ought to do the job.

However, we're presumably not talking about 'flat' cable, so it's a totally different kettle of fish!

In the final analysis, there is presumably never an absolute need to cut a live cable, it being done for matters of 'convenience'. I suppose the most 'inconvenient' would be in relation to a cable of unknown source and destination found in a hole in the road, the certain isolation of which might require depriving quite a lot of consumers of an electricity supply for a while.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back