DNO Workers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I was helping a friend to get a faulty cut out ( main incoming supply fuses ) replaced by the DNO.

It was reported to the DNO that the cut out had failed at 0600hrs. They said they had a target response time of three hours.

The first to arrive came on his own at 0950. He said that he could not replace it because they required two people to do a live replacement.

The next two arrived at 1300 and had a look and said they would need a digging team to expose the incoming cable at the front where they would cut the live conductor to enable them to replace the cut out.

The digging team, who were two subbies, arrived at 1600 and hung around for a while whilst the previous two used a CAT to identify the cable route. But there seemed little communication between all four. The subbies went for a walk for 25 minutes.

At 1700 all four drove off without explaining why or what was going to happen next to restore the supply.

Shortly afterwards their office contacted the Owner and said they could not do the replacement because they had seen some mouse droppings in the meter cupboard. The Owner replied to them shortly afterwards and said that any mouse droppings had just been vacuumed up. The Manager said she would get the supply restored that same evening.

Surprisingly, a further two turned up at 2215 and proceeded to do a live replacement of the cut out and finished at 0030.

XXXXXXXXXX

Now I have to say that I was amazed at the total lack of organisation with 2/4 people hanging around from 1300 with no obvious intention of actually getting anything done. Quite apart from the 1300 people saying it would need isolating outside when the first and last said it could be changed live as long as two people were present.

So, DNO staff, is the supply industry really all so inefficient with no obvious intention to repair faults quickly for the users and financially wasting a lot of staff costs?

Certainly, when I worked for the BBC engineering, anyone managing a situation like that would have had a minimum of a formal disciplinary interview which would be recorded in their staff file.

Sponsored Links
See this thread of mine from 2005.

Examples like these make me think the best thing to do is to invite the press, or better still TV news, around to see the situation for themselves.
Before they arrive, of course, let the appropriate supply company know!

Examples like these make me think the best thing to do is to invite the press, or better still TV news, around to see the situation for themselves.
Before they arrive, of course, let the appropriate supply company know!
I totally agree.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would guess the problem is the use of subcontractors who have no particular shared responsibility for getting the job done

or a management structure that entrenches silo demarcation

It certainly does seem that whoever the DNO is are making what really is a quite a simple job very difficult!
Is the cutout and old cast iron metal clad type? I’d understand the need for cutting the service outside for isolation then. As for mouse droppings in the cupboard? Really!?
I know where I work unless the cutout is immediately faulty- burnt out etc, then it goes into follow up which gets planned in and booked into a given date.
Communication is terrible from whoever you’re dealing with, get a proper complaint put in.

One of them mentioned it was cast iron but I have forgotten which.

It looked to me like high density black plastic but then I did not have an opportunity to examine it in detail.

It had been there for at least 40 years and possibly since the house was built in 1905.

But the first, and the last two, could not see any problem with doing a live replacement.

When I need to go to a gas meter in an understairs' cupboard I expect there may be some mouse droppings. I have never thought about them. Sometimes mouse droppings inside gas boilers too.

The house owner does not want to make a complaint as the power was restored almost within a day and the freezer contents survived. I would like to in order to try to prevent such a dreadful inefficiency and being on a Sunday many would be on higher pay rates and the total unnecessary wage bill would have been about £500.

One of them mentioned it was cast iron but I have forgotten which.

It looked to me like high density black plastic but then I did not have an opportunity to examine it in detail.
I don't know what your relative had but there do seem to be some mixed metal/plastic cutout designs around. For example the one at my parents house has a metal (presumablly cast iron) "spreader box" where the supply cable enters, but the actual fuseholders and neutral terminals (there appear to be two fuseholders and two neutral terminals, I think the remnants of an old off-peak system).

I don't know what your relative had but there do seem to be some mixed metal/plastic cutout designs around. For example the one at my parents house has a metal (presumablly cast iron) "spreader box" where the supply cable enters, but the actual fuseholders and neutral terminals (there appear to be two fuseholders and two neutral terminals, I think the remnants of an old off-peak system).

Not off peak...that's just a metering issue. More likely from the old DC mains ........

hmm, whatever it was there are two un-fused terminal blocks, and two fuseholders. Currently one fuseholder and one plain terminal block feed the (single phase, single rate).

I presumed the second fuseholder and second terminal block used to feed a second meter for storage heaters (i'm pretty sure the house had them in the past before my parents bought it and had central heating put in) but I don't know for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back