Metal DNO CutOuts

I don't think you've read what I said. Most of what you have said is untrue, but who cares believe what you like. Spiking inside a building - hahaha - spoken by a man that has no idea what happens when you spike a live cable.
Didn’t read the linked document then

Sponsored Links
Didn’t read the linked document then

I have just read the document, Here are some facts, it told me nothing I did'nt already know, It does not contradict anything I've said.

It did show me that you have mis-read the document eg you stated that it says all HV cables have to be spiked with the exception of sheath repairs, that is not true, you have missed out the word "preferably".

Once you try to mislead everything else you say can be ignored. I've seen it a few times before with a few dishonest contractors that end up severely regretting their mistake. Because it means from that moment, all verbal communication stops and written communication starts and that means highlighting every little mistake to the whole construction team.

It did show me that you have mis-read the document eg you stated that it says all HV cables have to be spiked with the exception of sheath repairs, that is not true, you have missed out the word "preferably".

Once you try to mislead everything else you say can be ignored
Sorry, I don’t quite understand how I could possibly have missed out a word that does not occur ONCE in the document.

What were you saying about misleading?

D7160982-7CD9-41D2-B5CC-58B1B878714C.png

Apologies, I misquoted it says -

When a HV cable has been identified to be worked on, in all circumstances other than those set out in section 6 below or if it is fluid filled, it Shall be proved Dead before work commences; normally by spiking with an Acvoke cable spiking gun

"normally by" does not mean "always" or "everytime"

So you are still wrong

Sponsored Links
... and all this from the man who accuses me of quibbling and waffling!

... and I'm still waiting to learn who he was before he was mwatsonxx.

Kind Regards, John

Apologies, I misquoted it says -

When a HV cable has been identified to be worked on, in all circumstances other than those set out in section 6 below or if it is fluid filled, it Shall be proved Dead before work commences; normally by spiking with an Acvoke cable spiking gun

"normally by" does not mean "always" or "everytime"

So you are still wrong
I’m aware what the document says, but I’m also not basing my information solely on said document, that was for your information.

I’ve had many a conversation with various WPD employees about jointing and they are under strict instructions to spike cables on every occasion in the field.

The use of the word normally is there because obviously, as with everything, there will be 1 occasion out of 1000 or more, where a spike is not necessary i.e. the whole cable route is exposed back to the origin and can be verified as dead.

There are certainly some common behavioural tendencies! With a memory of the forum much longer than yours presumably is, I've also more than once wondered whether he might know the significance of posts which say "..".

Kind Regards, John

There are certainly some common behavioural tendencies! With a memory of the forum much longer than yours presumably is, I've also more than once wondered whether he might know the significance of posts which say "..".
I don’t doubt that your memory is longer than mine! But I’m aware of those posts, not really aware what the content was like but I dread to think of the effort involved! Assuming you’re referring to what I’m thinking of

The use of the word normally is there because obviously, as with everything, there will be 1 occasion out of 1000 or more, where a spike is not necessary i.e. the whole cable route is exposed back to the origin and can be verified as dead.

In reality its round the other way, a spike is not normally required.

I don’t doubt that your memory is longer than mine! But I’m aware of those posts, not really aware what the content was like but I dread to think of the effort involved! Assuming you’re referring to what I’m thinking of
I'm sure I am! As you say, the amount of time/effort required was immense, and I suspect that the mods might well have been able to do the equivalent of it for him 'with the click of a button' had he asked them nicely :) However, he did 'miss' some, which therefore persist in their original form in the forum archives!

As for the content, a substantial proportion were directed at me, and constantly referred to my 'waffling' (I think some even dubbing me "Mr Waffle") - which is what seemed so familiar about the new phenomenon that has now appeared amongst us!

Kind Regards, John

Probably not
Winston Registration:23 Mar 2003 Last Activity:1 Jan 1970
Winston1 Registration:11 Jan 2010 Last Activity:Today at 1:02 PM
Do I take it that "1970" should perhaps read "2010"?

However, none of that precludes 'parallel personas' ? ... but, having said that, I also think "probably not".

Kind Regards, John

That's what I would have expected, as a general rule.

However, as I have hinted, I imagine that one exception might have to be that of an 'unknown' (unknown source and destination) cable which is 'probably live' which has been found in a hole in a road. One presumably cannot safely dissect out the individual cores, so probably has no choice but to assume that it is live but nevertheless chop it 'in one hit' (whilst 'standing back' :) ) ... or is there some other possible approach in that situation? To 'de-power' an entire area would seem a bit excessive.

Kind Regards, John

A cable can only be opened up after a proper cable id is carried out.
We can’t kustbopen up an unknown cable.

If it can’t be id’d via pulse or echo, then it must be traced - which means digging until you find the other end or branch joint etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back