Metal filings and tap washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed a new washbasin in the bathroom.
One of the taps is leaking already!
Could this be due to the fact that I cut back the copper pipe to fit a flexible tap connector? Some metal filings fell into the water supply. Maybe they are making their way up to the washer?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
How did you cut the pipe?

What type of tap is it?

I cut the pipe using a hacksaw.
When I first turned the tap on, some metal filings came out with the flow into the basin.
It's just a conventional rotary tap. Brand new from Screwfix. Not sure if it iuses ceramic washers.

Mike

I cut the pipe using a hacksaw.
Ah. That was courageous. ;)

When I first turned the tap on, some metal filings came out with the flow into the basin.
It's just a conventional rotary tap. Brand new from Screwfix. Not sure if it iuses ceramic washers.
If it rotates only quarter (or half, in some cases) of a turn, then it's ceramic disc. Otherwise it's a conventional washered type. Neither variety will benefit deposits of copper filings inside the mechanism.

If you're lucky then it's just a matter of a lickle bit of copper on a rubber washer. If you're not then you've buggered a ceramic cartridge. In the latter case, if your scruples permit it, you might seek a replacement under warranty.

Sponsored Links
It's a conventional rubber washer type AFAIK.
Hopefully, it just needs a new washer....

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back