Metal frame ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on installing a metal frame ceiling.

My intention is to reduce the sound from the flat above.

I've seen that instead of a metal frame ceiling I could have simply installed resilient bars to the joists and then the plasterboard to the resilient bars.

My question: Do the hangers for a metal frame ceiling act as a resilient bar or should I also have some kind of special hangers to better soundproof the ceiling.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Res bars are specfically designed to minimise transmission by decoupling the plasterboard from the wall surface it is covering. Ordinary hangers don't do this. You normally see res bars in walls - ceilings are sometimes dealt with by using sound block (mauve board) with the addition of mineral wool on top.

Thanks for your response JobAndKnock. I've found the answer to my question, you can buy 'Acoustic hangers' for the MF ceiling. They seem to act in a similar way to a resilient bar by decoupling the MF ceiling from the joists they are being connected to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back