metal garage door - is undercoat required before gloss.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The existing gloss is ok condition wise - but faded. Can I rub down and re- gloss or do I need an undercoat in between? Maybe it depends on which gloss I use?

Sponsored Links
Id suggest a good rub down and two coats of one coat gloss...I have had a few problems in the past with undercoat being a bit too brittle for the movement in the door.

I gave it too coats of ordinary gloss instead..but the one coat stuff might be better..

The existing gloss is ok condition wise - but faded. Can I rub down and re- gloss or do I need an undercoat in between? Maybe it depends on which gloss I use?

If it's in good condition as you say: Wash down with sugar soap and whizz over with 100 wet and dry at the same time. Rinse and dry off.
Get some Crown "Solo", not only is it extremely good coverage and easier to use than liquid gloss, but it's self undercoating and extremely flexible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back