Metal Garage Door

Sponsored Links
Why particularly a side hung rather than a roller? My garage (which I use for the car), originally had heavy side hung wooden doors. They needed replacing, so then I decided to fit an up and over metal door. In time that mechanism wore out, so around 10 years ago I decided to buy a remote control, insulated roller shutter door. It takes much less room when open, just a 10" diameter roll. I have a remote by the house back door, a second one in the car, then I added a pair of manual buttons inside the garage. I collected it from the factory and installed it myself, with an assistant. It cost me around £600.

Side hung doors occupy space at the front to be open. Up and over need a lot of space in the ceiling to open.

A big door catching the wind could spell trouble.....

Thanks, that reminds me why I swapped the original wooden doors for an up and over the wind. My drive and garage faces the wind from the west and it is like being in a wind tunnel when it blows, with houses either side of the drive. It often ripped the doors out of my hands, trying to open them in a wind.

No such problem with the up and over, or the roller.

Sponsored Links
Oh, I need side hung to be able to have the 1/3, 2/3 split as the door willl be the only access into the garage and need to make it easy to get into daily for the washing machine, freezer etc. This is in the garden rather than at the front of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back