Metal garage roof condensation inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete garage with a metal roof.The problem at this time of year is that it frosts up on the inside of the roof then when it gets a bit warmer it drips of like a rain shower which is obviously not good for any items in there.
I know one solution would be heat but that would run too expensive.
Anybody got any other ideas as to what can be done?
Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
assuming its a corrugated metal roof ,and assuming its blocked up around the eaves............i would unblock either side to create airflow.......bit draughty ,but better that than wet. :D

assuming its a corrugated metal roof ,and assuming its blocked up around the eaves............i would unblock either side to create airflow.......bit draughty ,but better that than wet. :D
Thanks for the suggestion but not an option.

I have a similar problem in a wooden shed. Frost forms on the interior walls and roof. Everything in it gets damp. I picked up a pair of oars last week that were covered with a film of water.

It is already ventilated, so alistairreid's suggestion will not help. The only thing I can think of is to use a low-power tubular heater on frosty nights, or to stop storing anything that minds getting damp in it.

Sponsored Links
Heating is of no use for condensation, actually makes it worse as warm air supports more water vapour, increase ventilation, if you have ventilation already then it's insufficient.

The problem is that steel gets very cold, it attracts the moisture in the air, that condenses onto it, freezes and then melts and drips onto your car or whatever.
The solution is to spray poly foam onto the underneath of the roof, foam will stop the condensation.
Or suspend a plastic sheet or similar to catch the drips and drain them to one side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back