Metal halide on a timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if its safe to use a standard mechanical timer to turn on and off a set of 2x250W Metal Halide lamps ? ive heard some people say they need a contactor ?

Sponsored Links
Most time clocks are designed for resistive loads - standard Immersion ones certainly are.

Look for the rating on the timer, it may give you an indication of it's maximum inductive rating. Other than that, yes, a contactor (switched by the timer) would be the way forward. Check you get a contactor suitable for the inductive load ;)

Look for the AC rating (AC1, AC3). AC1 is light inductive loads (a few flourescents), AC3 is fairly high inductive loads (motors etc).

IMHO, when ever we have to time switch these, we Always get the timeclock to switch a relay or contactor, easier to replace an octal relay than the timeswitch!
Only time switch that I know that would switch this is the old Samgamo round mechanical ones, even then, be prepared for a blue fireworks display when it changes over!

Sponsored Links
An AC3 contactor will probably be OK, afaik it is categorised for motors though. Something seems to make me think an AC5a is the category for discharge lights, anyone got a copy of the categorization charts?

yes you will need a contactor

If it was 150w metal halides you wouldnt need one and could get a way with a timer.

the load from a 250w when switched on will cause the timer to arc (? i think thats the correct terminology)

This is something i have read alot on (use 2 * 150w for fish tank)

If your looking for a contactor check out [url]http://www.marine-lighting.co.uk/ [/url] click on the bottom right hand side

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

contactor_s.jpg

where's Dave9 when you want him? (regulars will understand)

And i could make one myself for half the price that website is charging.

I dont think you will find a true contactor in that enclosure either - more like a relay ;)

Are you using a timer on its own or in combination with a photocell, certainly a contactor would be the best method, or as gingervit suggests a sangamo timer with the solardial feature which compensates for changing sunrise/sunset time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back