Metal Halide Startup Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent yesterday installing a 70w Metal Halide outside which was an awkward installation.

Anyhow, after all that work, the bloody thing switches on fine, but after 20 seconds or so, it goes out. If I go away can come back, it sometimes is back up running.

If it does go out and I switch it off, then back on again, it lights up again and then goes out of the 20 seconds etc. Sometimes it flickers when I switch it on.

Is this a faulty bulb or an electronic problem? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
most likely the lamp, thats assuming your using the correct lamp, is the glass ball bit within the lamp severely off colour
Is the lamp new and is it high frequency control gear

Did you get the photocell option,
if its the old fashioned ballast and igniter type, it may be worth checking the fitting supply voltage, a low voltage can sometimes cause on/of cycling.
high frequency units have a wider tolerance

Sponsored Links
Its the non-photocell version.

The light is on its own circuit and the meter was showing 236v. I guess it would be better to test the voltage in the light fitting itself.

My local dealer stocks Ansell and every light I seem to get from that brand has problems switching on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back