Metal Lathe help needed (BV20)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a BV20 lathe and it's given me many years good service. Recently one of the capacitors on the motor exploded. Probably a bit of swarf or just old age. Unfortunately it completely disintegrated so I can't read the number. Can anyone help suggest the size it should be so I can source one? There are two capacitors and it was the top one. Failing that is there a good lathe specific forum out there?

Sponsored Links
Dont assume that the motor still works!

Whats the value of the remaining capacitor?

How does it compare in size with the damaged one?

Depending on the power of the motor typical values could be about 4-8 μ F.

Pretty much any 400 VAC capacitor could be used to test to see if the motor is still working.

I dont recommend you spend much on buying a replacement in case the motor does not work.

Obvious question, does the motor have any maker/model info?

Tony

The motor works OK with one capacitor, but it struggles to start on the fastest speed, ie it stutters a few times before spinning up. On the slow speed it seems fine but I'd rather not use it without a proper fix.

I can't easily compare the good one to the broken one as there is nothing left of the broken one. It's either vapourised or shot accross the room somewhere. It looks like it was about the same physical size.

I'll have a closer look in the morning

Sponsored Links
Just had a reply from Axminster. I'll paste it here in case anyone finds this thread in years to come.

There are 2 capacitors fitted to this machine, a small run capacitor and a larger start capacitor.

100 MFD Start Capacitor is part number BV20SC, they are in stock and priced at 44 pence each.

18 MFD Run Capacitor is part BV20RC, they are also in stock and priced at 59 pence each.

at that price you could resell them on e-bay and make a good profit

That's good value and good service.

Good to hear Axi sorted you out, worth getting a replacement and another spare at that price.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back