metal light fittings - no earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a couple of metal chandeliers and on closer inspection they were only wired up with a live and neutral to the 3 arms. The original cables were like bell cable, I have replaced them with 2 core 0.75mm lighting cable. I have also soldered an earth connection point onto the ceiling cover. I intend to connect the fitting into the existing ceiling connections using the earth and both power connections.

I am pretty sure that everything is ok, however I would like a second opinion.[/b]

Sponsored Links
We really need to see it to comment: can you post a piccy?

The stuff like bell cable wasn't silicone sheathed instead of pvc was it? this has higher rating I think.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses, I do not know how to put a picture into this message block.

The light is from Qatar, it has three arms with small screw connectors for the 40W pigmy lamps. The feeds to these connectors terminate at the bottom of the fitting and are connected to a block connector. A single feed then goes up a central tube to the rose where another block connector is used to connect it to the lighting circuit.

As for the old cable, this was sheathed in a single layer of insulation, not double insulated. The actual conductor was not copper or aluminium, but appeared to be stranded steel!!

link to partial image
Picture268.jpg

Martin265 said:
I have recently purchased a couple of metal chandeliers and on closer inspection they were only wired up with a live and neutral to the 3 arms.

That's normal. The earth connection is connected to the metal exterior of the fitting (unless it is double insulated). Do you have an earth lead connecting the metal fitting to the connector block? Check the box/instruction to see if you have a double insulated fitting.

Martin265 said:
The original cables were like bell cable, I have replaced them with 2 core 0.75mm lighting cable.

I have also soldered an earth connection point onto the ceiling cover. I intend to connect the fitting into the existing ceiling connections using the earth and both power connections.

Read above. If it is double insulated it should NOT be earthed. But you may have compromised the insulation during the soldering.

The light is from Qatar, it has three arms with small screw connectors for the 40W pigmy lamps. The feeds to these connectors terminate at the bottom of the fitting and are connected to a block connector. A single feed then goes up a central tube to the rose where another block connector is used to connect it to the lighting circuit.

This is perfectly normal.

As for the old cable, this was sheathed in a single layer of insulation, not double insulated. The actual conductor was not copper or aluminium, but appeared to be stranded stel!!

Short wires within a light fitting are rarely double insulated unless you specifically bought a double insulated fitting. Its very unusual to have wires made from anything but copper or aluminium - are you sure it wasn't just bad lighting/a reflection?

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back