Metal Light Switch And Earth (Again!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my all plastic light switch with a LED Dimmer switch which has a metal face plate. I know this needs to be earthed but I was just checking to see if this is the correct way to earth the switch as there is no earthing point in the switch back box as it is plastic. I have made my own earth wire up and connected this from the earth terminal on the back of the switch plate and connected this to the terminal block in the light switch housing. This terminal block already has two earth wires connected to it - one from the loop in and one from the loop out i guess? Anyway a picture tells a thousand words i guess.....

I don't know how you inserted your picture, but it is incompatible with our forum.

I have removed it (and from the Quote posts)

Try copy and paste into your post

Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Yes that's fine.

Indeed it does. There are clearly three. What about the other one?

Edit ??? - No picture was in my quote.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can also see it inserted twice, before the site banner:

Hence my "WT*?"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THAnks for quick replies must try and host pictures a little bit better next time! What a mess

The third is the switched live L1 for the lighting circuit itself...

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you crushed a ring terminal to make it fit into the faceplate earth terminal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... must try and host pictures a little bit better next time! What a mess
Yes, it's a mess, but I don't think it's your fault. I've never seen that happen before and, even if one wanted to insert photos above the site banner, I don't think one could find any way to do it!

Kind Regards, John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you crushed a ring terminal to make it fit into the faceplate earth terminal?
He has.

upload_2017-12-19_15-53-12.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Yeah it’s a little crushed as the radius of the original ring was too big to fit into the terminal. The screw goes through the middle now. Probably best to start again with it and make up an earth wire from my 1mm twin and earth reel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it’s a little crushed as the radius of the original ring was too big to fit into the terminal. The screw goes through the middle now.
If the screw goes through the hole in the middle of what's left of the ring terminal, it could well be loose, and hence a poor connection. Best to cut off the ring terminal and just connect the wire itself to the faceplate terminal (if the wire is long enough) or, as you say, start again with some new wire (in green/yellow sleeving, if you use bare wire).

Kind Regards, John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah there is enough wire so I’ll just cut the ring terminal off. Thanks

Sponsored Links