Metal plasterboard rawlplug question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time I have ever used metal platerboard rawlplugs and from what I gather it should be fairly straight forward. However the plug themselves do not seem to be threaded internally meaning the screws won't go in. Is that a manufacturing error or am I just doing it wrong?

Sponsored Links
The screws self tap their own thread through the face of the fixing so use a good unworn screwdriver and turn firmly. You need to get it right first time ideally.
John :)

Sponsored Links
There have been previous questions here where people report “good” and “bad” batches of these things, with the bad ones impossibly tight.

There have been previous questions here where people report “good” and “bad” batches of these things, with the bad ones impossibly tight.
Yeah I haven' tried them yet but the screw won't go in with fingers that's for sure. Does seen very tight, will hopefully be easier once the plug is actually in the wall.

I use these occasionally for light loads but it tend to keep more of these guys in now https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-hollow-wall-anchors-8-16mm-m5-x-52mm-10-pack/12229.

I feel they are generally better for heavier loads and you can use them on anything that is hollow, plasterboard, metal, plastic (including UPVC). Very useful, they do require a tool to expand them though. They also have the advantage of being a threaded machine screw.

Usually down to using the wrong diameter screw in the fixing, it’s only suitable for one size.”

I think all the ones I’ve seen are supplied with the screw.
Not all are supplied with screws and those that are are usually pan head which are not suitable for many applications so people use there own, often with no regard to whether they fit or not.

I prefer the plastic ones - have used 1" x 8 countersunk with them for many jobs- but they're not good at self-drilling through the skim coat, best off piloting with either a masonry bit (NOT on hammer action) or an HSS bit that you don't love any more. Fine for lightweight stuff (pictures, a wireless thermostat), wouldn't trust them with a TV or a shelf or a radiator :)

I use these occasionally for light loads but it tend to keep more of these guys in now https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-hollow-wall-anchors-8-16mm-m5-x-52mm-10-pack/12229.

I feel they are generally better for heavier loads and you can use them on anything that is hollow, plasterboard, metal, plastic (including UPVC). Very useful, they do require a tool to expand them though. They also have the advantage of being a threaded machine screw.
Those "umbrella fixings" are what I use and recommend - the screw-in "curly-whirly" types are a PIA to use and often don't hold that well - so these days I just refuse to use them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back