Problem with self drill fixing into plasterboard walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have used the self drills, similar to Redidrive, a few times and have found that once you have screwed in the the self tapping section section into the plasterboard and offered up the lightweight fixture and then screwed into the plasterboard, that you are then unable to remove the screw alone without the whole lot coming out resulting in the hole not being reusable.

I do not know if this is a common problem or not.

I have two questions to ask.

Is the way around this to grease the screw before inserting, and if so what type of grease/ lubricant would be best?

Now that the self tapper part cannot be reinserted into the hole and the fixing must go in the exact same place, are there any alternatives to using glue to attach the metal fixing to the plasterboard walls.

I am aware of a repair kit offered by a manufacturer, but not sure if I can name it on this site, where you can insert a plastic rawlplug into the hole after wrapping it with certain material. I wonder if anyone has used it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Much better to use hollow wall fixings, I think (Screwfix 18266) and some of these are available with drill ends too.
If you use RediDrivas, stick them in with PVA or no nails adhesive and allow to set.
I must admit, the nylon drivers from Fischer are much better than most though.
John :)

Indeed, that could be the problem....I think most Redidriva's come complete with a screw?
I think these things have their uses for sure, but strictly lightweight stuff only. Just my opinion though!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The plastic type are much more forgiving and accept a variety of screws compared with the metal type.
The metal come in two types with or without a thru hole , the latter have to be used with supplied screws too avoid problems.
Too remove with out damage you need a set of pliers to prevent the plug turning when removing the screws.Always best to test the screw with plug before use.

Thanks folks some good tips.

Just for the record the screw i used came with the fitting and had in fact tested it. Once it was tightened the problem was that it would not unscrew without everything coming with it.

I will need to invest in a proper set of pliers.

The PVA glue/No Nails is a good tip.

I did not realise you could get hollow anchors with drill ends. I assume that means that they will insert into brick?

You misunderstood, the drill end just allows self drilling into plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back