Metal sheds any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Priced up timber to build myself a 3650x3650 shed and it's a crazy price.

Had a look at these metal ones and something of a similar size is only in the £hundreds.

I want to use it as storage and workshop with mains electric in there.

I dont know anyone with a metal shed, but bearing in mind the price difference, I am thinking about it.

What are the drawbacks with one? Would I still need to spend money to line it out and make it useable as a workshop etc?

I'd rather have wood, but then again, I'd rather have £4000 to spend on materials , but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Any thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links
Just did a quick search on here about them after I posted the question and the first 10 or so threads were mainly saying terrible condensation.
Then I came across the 'plastic shed' option, which are double the price of metal but less than half the price of buying timber.

I'll keep my mind open , but I think I've already put metal sheds out of my plans for good

these are the plastic ones someone mentions on this forum.
Anyone recommend them?

The plastic ones are pretty good for what they are, be prepared to brace the inside with timber and improve the security!
John

Sponsored Links
Cheers John.
I'm just researching now how to seal the bottom/make a base or raised legs on a plastic one.
At least I'd be able to use 're-cycled' timber on the inside to brace it, so should give some savings.

The Keter Factor plastic shed is brilliant. Sturdy floor included for laying on flags.
I love mine.

I've had my YardMaster 3m x 4m metal shed for 15 years now, still in great condition.

I fitted vents for air circulation and to be fair the condensation isn't really that bad, never felt the need to insulate it.

I bet it will last another 15 years or more.

We had a Keter Small storage shed and that lasted 6 years, the sun got to it and turned it brittle in the end.

I have a Trimetals metal shed which is used as a motorcycle store. For this I've not had major condensation issues (I guess using as a workshop, you'd just need to give close attention to ventilation (natural or forced)).

I got it because it was equivalent to a garage for insurance purposes (wood was not).

I found the Trimetals delivery and instructions poor - missing parts, almost unreadable instructions and pictures. It was time consuming to assemble. They also didn't honour a cashback offer.

I did get it with some OSB panels for flooring, but these need redoing as the metal supports were insufficientso it's bowed.

Having covered the negatives, I would lsay that I have been impressed by how well it's stood up. It comes galvanised and painted. There is one spot on a floor panel outside where the rain drips from the roof which has now got a rust spot and I'll need to re-treat/paint, but the rest is pretty much as it was when installed. I just jet/hose the roof off once a year to remove any moss build up. I've had it 8 years.

I had a small metal shed on my old allotment plot. It was on a concrete base and had been screwed down as it had blown over a few times in the past. I found the condensation a major problem. All my fertilisers and plant foods suffered with damp. When I moved plots, I left the shed and bought a wooden one. Those that had plastic sheds didn’t suffer with condensation but their sheds also blew apart in strong winds just like the little pigs houses did when the big wolf blew on them!

Mottie - the little pig who built the wooden shed must have had a reasonable amount of spare cash though? :LOL:
Although, to be fair , wood could last many many years. That was my original plan until I priced up
I'm still in 2 minds on this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back