Metal Shoes on Timber ends?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dismantled a structural frame, and some repair/replacement needs to be done before it can be re-assembled. The frame is of square shape, made from 4 individuel pieces of timber, 2 x 18feet long, and the other 2 x 13feet long. All of them are 4inch square. Incidently the frame lies on the floor and it levelled with packings, it does not stand vertical either. Also it is designed to come apart, as it is held together with pins/wedges.

I have a couple of problems i need help with...

Due to the length of the timber i am having problems getting any replacements. A friend of mine tells me it is in softwood/pine.
He has also told me that the replacements should be Douglas Fir. Any other timbers suitable?

The reason for replacing is due to one 18f long piece has broke in half. And the other pieces are suffering from splitting on the ends.

The ends my friend told me could be repaired if they had 'Metal Shoes' fitted. Can someone please explain to me, or point me in the direction of somewhere on the web, where i can find some information / photos of this? He mentioned it was used in ships?

Also any ideas on how the broken timber could be repaired. Steel plates fitted either side, which have been routered out, then bolted through was one idea.

If the timbers are to be repaired they need to have the paint stripped from them. Any ideas sanding/ chemical removal?
I am concerned they could have been painted with 'lead' based paint.

Any information or help would be much apprieciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i think Metal shoe means a ring of metal round them to stop the splintering at the ends. A blacksmith would make up some tight fitting (traditionaly they would be heated up and put on hot to burn the wood to thier diameter and then as the metal shirnks it grips the wood hard)... the method of joining the broken pole is called putting a "fish plate" on. Im wondering if instead of clamping plates to it you could slip a pipe over the brake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back