Just a random query re a 1900s stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am wondering if someone could help me with something I'm unsure of.

I have a stud wall in my house, that had some 'customisation' to fit metal conduit in the past. After a rewire it just so happens that the base of this wall is now something I need to repair.

What's obvious is that when they fitted the conduit, they removed some timber that used to run at floor height between the studs.

My question is what the function of this timber is/was?

Some info:
-The bottom/centre of each stud in the wall looks to have an approx 1" by 1" notch in it.
-Into this notch a small square-shaped section of timber (just slightly smaller than 1" x 1") was nailed.
-This small piece of timber, sits on the floorboards and runs between the studs. It's only fastened to the studs not the floorboards.

I've attached some photos because I doubt any of the above makes sense without them:
1, a view of the notch in the stud with the corresponding timber that was fastened into the centre of the stud missing.
2, a view of a section of wall where this timber is still there.

Sorry if this is such a pointless question. It doesn't look like my house will fall down without it.

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpg
    IMG_3409.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
What's obvious is that when they fitted the conduit, they removed some timber that used to run at floor height between the studs.

My question is what the function of this timber is/was?

Do you mean the horizontal, thin latts (sp?) - that was what they used to plaster onto, before plasterboard came along. The predecessor to plasterboard.

Hi.

I've updated my photo to highlight (in yellow) what I mean by 'the small section of timber'. This is taken looking down to the base of the wall.

Thanks for your reply though:)

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 95
I've updated my photo to highlight (in yellow) what I mean by 'the small section of timber'. This is taken looking down to the base of the wall.

Thanks for your reply though

I think that is just a part of the frame for the stud work, there will probably be one at the top as well.

Sponsored Links
So the strip of timber runs through the cut outs at the bottom of the vertical studs?

May just be some form of alignment bar to stop the studs twisting/warping out of true with each other.

So the strip of timber runs through the cut outs at the bottom of the vertical studs?

May just be some form of alignment bar to stop the studs twisting/warping out of true with each other.

Sorry it's taken me ages to reply. I didn't notice this.

Yes the strip of timber runs through cut outs at the bottom of each vertical stud.

What you say makes a lot of sense.

I really appreciate your reply.

Makes it easier and faster to install longer runs of studs and keep the face alignment (spacing between was set by using a 14" or 16" long hammer as a rough gauge). Also helps resist twist when lath and plaster is applied.

Laths are traditionally cleaved from stuff like "green" chestnut using a froe - a job I've done - whilst undercoat lime plaster is pressed through the gaps in the laths, forming the "snots" which holds the plaster in place. This is a very wet process, and lime plaster needs months to dry out thoroughly, hence the need for extra restraints to reduce warping of stud walls

Makes it easier and faster to install longer runs of studs and keep the face alignment (spacing between was set by using a 14" or 16" long hammer as a rough gauge). Also helps resist twist when lath and plaster is applied.

Laths are traditionally cleaved from stuff like "green" chestnut using a froe - a job I've done - whilst undercoat lime plaster is pressed through the gaps in the laths, forming the "snots" which holds the plaster in place. This is a very wet process, and lime plaster needs months to dry out thoroughly, hence the need for extra restraints to reduce warping of stud walls

Thank you for all of that this. I find it really interesting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back