Metal Stairs

• Thread starter cumbriahandyman
  • Start date
C

cumbriahandyman

I have been asked to paint some metal stairs, (never painted metal before) treads and rails are all metal.

Current paint is is quite good condition, just needs brightening up.

That said, where the steps are studded, this has taken the paint off back to bear metal.

What is a good hard wearing paint, and will I need to prime/undercoat the stairs?

Sponsored Links
What often worries me in these situations is the slip factor, Dulux do a Trade Metalshield Gloss and Satin and are superb products. You will have to remove all loose and flakeing paint and sand the existing paintwork, then the exposed metal areas should be primed with a Zinc Phosphate primer followed by two gloss coats.

Another option would be the Protecta Kote route this is a rubberised non slip system, myself I have no experience with it's use or method of application yet it may be worth your while checking it out.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back