Metal Stud Obstruction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...stud wall to split a double garage.

Unfortunately there is a strap (that is neither true or fully attached at the bottom) that is just in the way of the first wall stud...can I just remove it ?

Any other options ?

Thanks

Phil
IMG_2369.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It’s holding down the wall plate (timber at the top). Could be repositioned to nearby if you can access to nail/screw down the top of it

It would have to move quite a lot...about 10mm..the strap is a long way off true...

Sponsored Links
It’s holding down the wall plate (timber at the top). Could be repositioned to nearby if you can access to nail/screw down the top of it
Thanks...yes, appreciate that.
I don't think I can move it to the right, access at top is too difficult but I will double check.
Is it really necessary, given the weight of the roof means the wall plate is in compression ?

Thanks...yes, appreciate that.
I don't think I can move it to the right, access at top is too difficult but I will double check.
Is it really necessary, given the weight of the roof means

Can’t you just move it to the right of the stud in your pic?
Edit - didn’t read your reply fully. I’d Deffo try to move it. Try and skew a couple of screws in at the top
Or fix the stud on top of it, packing it out below as needed and fixing through it into the block?

Can’t you just move it to the right of the stud in your pic?
Edit - didn’t read your reply fully. I’d Deffo try to move it. Try and skew a couple of screws in at the top
Or fix the stud on top of it, packing it out below as needed and fixing through it into the block?
Hello...just checked top access...can get two *maybe* at a push three screws in.
And yes maybe some wooden shims could also do the job.
So, two options, thanks for the advice !:D

Can you raise the metal stud up any higher? If so drill an extra hole in the top of it and screw it into the wall plate and once the rest of the stud is secured it will effectively do the same job as the strap.

If it hasn't got a few screws at the bottom I'd chuck it away as it's not doing anything anyway.

Id be wary of removing it if it’s providing stability to that slender panel between the doors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back