Metal Stud Wall & Parallel Rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to build a metal stud wall to partition my loft, there is a loadbearing brick wall I can build upon BUT if built there the ceiling runner ends up centered parallel with the rafters and have nothing to attach to.

The best I have come up with is adding some noggins (in red) 600mm apart between the rafters as depicted in this image:
test.jpg

What would other do? Any tips or gizmo I am not considering?

Regards,
Bester

Sponsored Links
I would span more rafters, rows of noggins covering 4 or 5 rafters either side, or just lengths of timber (like purlins) fixed underneath if you're not worried about them intruding into the "room".

I would span more rafters..
I like your first suggestion the most. I had not considered this, add an extra rafter in the spot I need it. Do you recon this could be added without disturbing the felt and tiles? How best to attach it top and bottom?

That's not what I meant, the rafters have very little lateral stability, your wall will push two or three sideways - you need to spread the force across 4 or 5 rafters either side.

IMG_20240125_182340713.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd just go with your first proposal with some noggins between two rafters that'll be perfectly adequate, they're already braced with dozens of battens.

...the rafters have very little lateral stability, your wall will push two or three sideways - you need to spread the force across 4 or 5 rafters either side.

View attachment 330728
There is a purlin (not pictured I realise) its about chest height is that not doing that job above as you've drawn?

Will certainly help. I just like to over engineer - especially for the sake of a few bits of wood.

I wish to build a metal stud wall to partition my loft, there is a loadbearing brick wall I can build upon BUT if built there the ceiling runner ends up centered parallel with the rafters and have nothing to attach to.

The best I have come up with is adding some noggins (in red) 600mm apart between the rafters as depicted in this image:
View attachment 330674

What would other do? Any tips or gizmo I am not considering?

Regards,
Bester
Three noggs, tops. One a foot in from each end and one in the middle.

Will certainly help. I just like to over engineer - especially for the sake of a few bits of wood.
Useally I am the same, but I want to interfere with the existing timbers as little as possible.

I redone my diagram to show more: White is exisiting structure, Blue is the metal stud wall and Red the proposed noggins.

test3.jpg

There is a Tie (now pictured) across where the wall would go. I can build the wall inline with that Tie but would keep them seperate, not attached, more of a guide line. There is also that Purlin, now pictured. The other side looks similiar will be easier as there is chimney stack to attach to.

I probably need less noggins as Noseall pointed out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back