meter leads and consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to move your consumer unit to another part of the house and make an extension to the meter leads so that they can connect to the consumer unit. Just a general question that i need answering.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
So if you have an house where there is a consumer unit and you don't wnat it there you have to put up and leave it, i at least thought that there was a way of moving it somehow i know the meter lead extension was a bit outrageous but surely you can simply move a consumer unit?

within reason you can yes, but its the tails (from the meter) that are the limiting factor, buty it would seem some suppliers donot worry about it anymore

Sponsored Links
andemz said:
Is it possible to move your consumer unit to another part of the house and make an extension to the meter leads so that they can connect to the consumer unit. Just a general question that i need answering.

thanks in advance

I Am Rewiring a House Where One "Service Fuse" Is Supplying Two Seperate Semi Detached Houses,
The "Service Fuse" Is In My Customers House,
Next Door Is Supplied Via 40m x 25mm2 Single Core Cables, With No Main Earthing Conductor Between The Two Houses,
I Called In The Electricity Supplier To Verify An Upgrading Of Their Supply To a Seperate Supply To Each Of The Premises,
The Only Thing They Where Concerned About Was The Fact That The Cables Supplying Next Door Where Running Through a 2m Length Of Metal Conduit On My Customers Kitchen Wall, And Said They Will Be Back To Re Route The 2m Of Cable Under The Floorboards,
The Moral Of The Story Is :- :rolleyes:

Most EB's insist on maximum of 2m tails.

They will move meters 4 u, but charge through the snozz.

If you want to move your meter/consumer unit then you will need to seek professional advise as the only way the board would accept it is if the work was carried out by a recognised contractor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back