Meter removal

lol about RCD at the end of the street, not exactly a suit but we do have 1000kv rubber arm length gloves for live work, and also 11kv gloves for hv switching although we dont actually come into contact with live 11kv, there more for just in case a fault occurs, to be honest, and i hope mr H&S isnt reading, i prefer to do live work without the gloves and use the rubber mat on the floor, as insulation, But alas in these days of HEALTH and SAFETY we dont do too much live work these days, which really takes the skills out of the job, and as you say makes all those years of free meals and training at hoylake, a waste of time.................. :cry: In my humble opinion the LV network is a much more dangerous thing to work on, as HV networks by law have a system of work to be adhered too before any work takes place. ie MADE DEAD,EARTHED and a safety document issued etc etc,

Sponsored Links
As regards cost of meter move :-

I was given an informal estimate from my DNO on this

This is to also move the service head rather than just the meter but they are required to be kept together by the DNO.

£750 if cable length the same or shorter
£1500 if cable length is longer (to pay for jointing/replacing the cable)

My meter stayed where it was (in awkward internal cupboard) as cable needed extending 3 feet to outside cabinet on wall.

.... better things to spend that kind of money on

Sounds cheap.

My shares will never make money at them kind of prices. :evil:

Sponsored Links
I wanted to get my meter moved. I got it done by western power distrobution for free!

Take a look at your meter tails (the 2 wires going into the meter from the big main fuse that is next to the meter.

They will be made of cloth or PVC (DO NOT CUT THEM TO FIND OUT! - just feel them).

If they are cloth, then the power company is obligated to change them, and if you're nice to the guy that comes round, make him a nice cuppa tea and a digestive, he'll move the meter and fuse at the same time.

You will have to get an electriction to fit new meter tails from your consumer unit to the the new meter location. To do this, the electrition will cut the seal on the main fuse, and pull it out, fit the new cables into the consumer unit, and leave them unconnected to the meter!

The power company will the connect the new cables into the meter. amd reseal the fuse when they replace the cloth tails.

The power company will send someone out to look at the tails, and he'll tell you what you need to do ready for the move when hes there.

kybert said:
If they are cloth, then the power company is obligated to change them, and if you're nice to the guy that comes round, make him a nice cuppa tea and a digestive, he'll move the meter and fuse at the same time.

50p I won't move a cutout, not even for a digestive.
I can't, i'm not authorized to work live never mind move cutouts.

Don't know about mains but your average meter man that comes can not move cutouts.

kybert said:
To do this, the electrition will cut the seal on the main fuse, and pull it out, fit the new cables into the consumer unit, and leave them unconnected to the meter!

TUT TUT TUT, ask for an isolator if you know you need to isolate the supply.

kybert said:
The power company will the connect the new cables into the meter. amd reseal the fuse when they replace the cloth tails.

No I won't!
I'm not connecting a load that I don't test in anyway, Hence an isolator.

kybert said:
The power company will send someone out to look at the tails, and he'll tell you what you need to do ready for the move when hes there.

Having your tails upgraded is a totally different job to moving the cutout.

If you need you meter moving it must be in the vicinity of the cutout.

If you need the cutout moving ask to have a cutout moved not the meter (its amazing how many jobs I get to reposition meter when the customer wants the cutout moving usually to outside).

And If a customer has VIR type tails or tails that need changing then it makes sense to do this while doing any job.

AT LEAST IN MY NETWORKS AREA ANYWAY!
Other area's may do jobs differently.

Ah i didnt have the 100A fuse moved, just the meter.

The fuse was just above the floor and the meter was half way up the wall, the consumer unit was up by the ceiling.

I had the meter moved down next to the fuse, and the power company put the new consumer unit tails back into the meter.

Im in bristol.

Even if its £750 that would totally scupper my kitchen redesign :cry:

How the hell they justify those charges is utterly beyond me :evil:

Where is your mail fuse (on the cable that comes in to the house) in relation to the meter, and where you want the meter moved to?

BoxCleva said:
How the hell they justify those charges is utterly beyond me :evil:

I would of thought maintaining the network, Poles, lines, and transformers don't come cheap.
Yes you pay an electricity bill but I'd think most of that would go towards generating your electricity.

Just a thought, I know it's not going towards my wages anyway :LOL:

Ok , they say a picture says a thousand words , so here goes.

The first link is a close of the meter in its current position.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/boxcleva/metercloseup.jpg

This one shows the existing , and propsed mounting point of the meter
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/boxcleva/movepoint.jpg

This one shows the external cable as it enters the house
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/boxcleva/external.jpg

And finally one showing the neww meter tails
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/boxcleva/existing.jpg

Hope this helps :D

In your case you need the CUTOUT moving, the meter will be moved with the cutout.

Next time you speak to Scottish power (if this is your supplier otherwise you must speak to your supplier not scottish power) make sure you explain it is the cutout that needs moving not the meter.

An engineer from Energy networks formally Power systems will need to visit to asses how much it will cost to move the supply, if it can be moved.

If you get an appointment letter from Dataserve this is metering and we will not be able to move the cutout, as we can only move the meter.

Good luck.

P.S Have you thought of an outside box on the wall where the cable enters the property?
Might work out cheaper.

Roo said:
P.S Have you thought of an outside box on the wall where the cable enters the property?
Might work out cheaper.

As long as the meter is removed from that wall , it can pretty much go anywhere to be honest. Is a box on the outside of the property something i should mention to the engineer when he calls ?

Many thanks for you input

I would ask him /her which would be the cheapest way of doing it.

I personally would of thought that would be easier but thats not my side of things so am only guessing really. :)

If I'm honest I am secretly hoping that as I have braided cable they will move it free of charge , but thats probably just a pipe dream.

I will ask them for the cheapest solution and see what they say.

Many thanks for all your contributions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back