Meter tails - ownership question

So not a private landlord
As I've said, my reading was not that the OP was a tenant of a rented property - but, as JM2 pointed out, I may have misunderstood. We need the OP to clarify.
Does it matter what he thinks, nothing forces the landlord to follow the findings, as not a private landlord. New law is The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 and if local council not private.
As above, I'm not convinced that this is rented property at all - in the private or any other sector. As I've already said, if the OP were a tenant in rented property it would be strange for him to be wanting to commission an EICR on the property, and also strange that he should think that any part of the property's electrical installation might be his responsibility - don't you agree?

Whatever, since it's the OP (who is clearly not 'the landlord') who is seemingly (and for whatever reason) asking for this EICR, I can't really see how it can be wanted in relation to the PRS legislation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My initial reading led me to believe OP is the lease holder, ie he has purchased a lease of (say)99 years from the Landlord who is the freeholder (local council). That is the same position I am in.

I rent the properties out so I am the rental landlord. OP doesn't appear to have mentioned if he rents out the property but I assumed he has and hence getting in the EICR as now required by the rental landlord.

JohnW2 seems to have summed up the electrical side.

My initial reading led me to believe OP is the lease holder, ie he has purchased a lease of (say)99 years from the Landlord who is the freeholder (local council). That is the same position I am in.
As you will understand, that is exactly how I read it ... but JM2 has subsequently caused me to 'wonder'.
I rent the properties out so I am the rental landlord. OP doesn't appear to have mentioned if he rents out the property but I assumed he has and hence getting in the EICR as now required by the rental landlord.
True, and I confess that it hadn't occurred to me that the OP might be 'the landlord' (with respect to someone he rents to) as well as being the Leaseholder. However, as JM2 pointed out, that still leaves us needing the OP to clarify the situation about which he wrote (with my emboldening) ....
.... Access to the flat is via external steps and the freehold owner and landlord is the local council....

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
True, and I confess that it hadn't occurred to me that the OP might be 'the landlord' (with respect to someone he rents to) as well as being the Leaseholder. However, as JM2 pointed out, that still leaves us needing the OP to clarify the situation about which he wrote (with my emboldening) ....
Access to the flat is via external steps and the freehold owner and landlord is the local council.
Kind Regards, John
Unless contracted out to an agent, the freeholder is the landlord but in that case the title can become quite bizarre.
One of my flats is in a block owned by a Ltd company of which I'm a 1/22 shareholder, effectively I'm freehold landlord, lease holder and rental landlord

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back